• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

CA Driver's License..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Is a CA driver's license valid up until midnight on the day of expiration????

My guy is having a pretty important birthday on Saturday, and wants to go out to the different bars, but his license expires that day and he doesn't have a new one.

Will he be able to have a memorable birthday or is he outta luck??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Why can't he go get it renewed tomorrow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Tell him to get his lazy bum up early and go to the DMV and get that sucker renewed!

What birthday is it? 21?

(also, they're probably not going to check the expiration date, and if they do, they won't bust balls about a few hours.)

OP
iLindzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
They'll only give him a temporary one, and he'll have to take it with him to the bars along with his ID that's expiring. I've heard from some people that it's pretty much dependent on the doormen.

OP
iLindzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup.. it's 21! That's why it's such a big deal.. if it were another one... I think we'd probably just do something at home with friends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
until you go to get that std test or kill someone innocent driving home to their family or knock someone (or yourself) up or any number of other completely undesirable other endings to that scenario...

wink all you want it's still can be fatally serious! :D ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 17", 2g ram, 160 g, final cut express
this happened to my friend in vegas for his 21st (had a CA license too) he didnt even know. but it didnt stop him from being let into places , just one place kicked him out. like someone said its up to the doorman. he should just go to the dmv just to be safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
until you go to get that std test or kill someone innocent driving home to their family or knock someone (or yourself) up or any number of other completely undesirable other endings to that scenario...

wink all you want it's still can be fatally serious! :D ;)

Well, if you are safe and have reliable friends around, there is no reason not to celebrate! It really is a big moment in life.

But the key is being safe...

You may want to just stay at home that night. That night is reserved for getting trashed...not necessarily going to bars. OR, go to a couple bars and have a few beers, just for the experience. THAN go home and finish the process :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is why I love Jersey, your license doesn't expire the day you turn 21 :D

And cheesy, I don't know what you're talking about, it's definitely more fun getting trashed at a bar on a Saturday night than at home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
And cheesy, I don't know what you're talking about, it's definitely more fun getting trashed at a bar on a Saturday night than at home

A house party with all of your friends around? I don't think I believe you!

But I don't have much bar experience...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Is a CA driver's license valid up until midnight on the day of expiration????

My guy is having a pretty important birthday on Saturday, and wants to go out to the different bars, but his license expires that day and he doesn't have a new one.

Will he be able to have a memorable birthday or is he outta luck??

So why didn't he get it renewed a month ago? He could have, the DMV would have given him a new license for another 5 years....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A house party with all of your friends around? I don't think I believe you!

But I don't have much bar experience...

It's much more fun getting wasted when you have both your friends and a whole lot of random strangers around. ;P

OP
iLindzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So why didn't he get it renewed a month ago? He could have, the DMV would have given him a new license for another 5 years....

I'm not sure.. Honestly, he probably didn't think about it at all. But, now that he is thinking about it.. I am too because my birthday is at the end of the month, and my license expires this year as well. I thought you were supposed to receive a renewal notice in the mail, but I haven't gotten anything yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
it's pretty much dependent on the doormen.

That's it right there. Some guys are ***** about it, some aren't. It's all about the establishment too. If CA's version of the ABC (Alcohol Beverage Comission) comes busting in and some one has an expired underage ID (some states put "Under 21" in big red letters), they could get fined and face other penalties. I know several club/bar owners so I know a little bit about the business.

What's the chance that a bar is going to get checked? 1%? 5%? It's usually pretty slim, but bar owners care enough about making money and not losing it that it doesn't matter what they're risk is for making $10 or $20 off of some one that could cost them $1000's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the chance that a bar is going to get checked? 1%? 5%? It's usually pretty slim, but bar owners care enough about making money and not losing it that it doesn't matter what they're risk is for making $10 or $20 off of some one that could cost them $1000's.

Actually, it seems that most places are very big on checking IDs in Ca. I'm well over 21 and I get ID'd when I go into places or even restaurants that serve alcohol on a regular basis.

It's also not just the fine, it's the liquor license that the owners can lose as well. It's not worth losing their license to make some bucks off some underage drinkers. Then there is the chance that if that underage person happens to get in a car and have an accident or get stopped for a DUI, the place where they got the drinks can be held responsible for having served them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Actually, it seems that most places are very big on checking IDs in Ca. I'm well over 21 and I get ID'd when I go into places or even restaurants that serve alcohol on a regular basis.

It's also not just the fine, it's the liquor license that the owners can lose as well. It's not worth losing their license to make some bucks off some underage drinkers. Then there is the chance that if that underage person happens to get in a car and have an accident or get stopped for a DUI, the place where they got the drinks can be held responsible for having served them.

Oops. I meant the chance that the establishment will be checked by what ever the governing body is in CA, not that the chance the ID will be checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Over here on the East Coast our IDs get checked at the door. It's rare you can just walk into a bar at night without having to go through a bouncer. Things are a bit more lax during the day, but then again, not many people go out drinking during the day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops. I meant the chance that the establishment will be checked by what ever the governing body is in CA, not that the chance the ID will be checked.

I think that the local police can actually check in the establishment if they believe that underage drinking is being allowed...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.