Reinstalling OS X in iMac G4

M

Mainyehc

Hey! I have an iMac G4 1,25GHz running Mac OS X 10.3.5, and I'm going to sell it Tuesday... What I want to do is this: Erase and Install Mac OS X.
This computer came with Jaguar in its Software Install and Restore Disc, but as I bought it in December the 1st, 2003, along with it came the three Panther Upgrade discs. Now, I've restarted my iMac with the Panther Disc #1, while pressing "C", and everything went fine until the installer asked me to choose in which volume I wanted to install Panther: Apparently, it won't let me make a clean installation of Mac OS 10.3.1 over 10.3.5... I know that the installer would then ask me if I wanted to archive and install, erase and install, etc... I just want to erase the disk, it's no big deal to erase a recent version of OS X and install an older one, is it? I mean, the first thing I would do would be running System Update ;)
Now, how am I supposed to achieve this? By erasing the disk with Disk Utility and installing OS X 10.3.1, or is that a bad idea? My Panther disks have "Upgrade" written on them... Am I supposed to install Jaguar and make the upgrade to panther again??
I'm kind of new to OS X and Macs, even though I'm already on my second one (a gorgeous 20'' iMac G5 :D), I've been using them for 10 months only... So I still have no idea on how to do this...
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
If you're going to be selling the computer, the first thing I'd do is use Disk Utility to format the drive. I'd suggest using the "Write drive with zeros" (I'm not sure of the exact wording) option that you'll find by clicking the Options... button before doing the format. It takes longer than a standard formating, but it's more secure.

If your Panther disks are upgrade disks, I think you'll need to first install Jaguar, and then perform the upgrade to Panther again. My Panther disks are full installation disks, so I'm not 100% certain of this, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

OP
M

Mainyehc

Padawan said:
If you're going to be selling the computer, the first thing I'd do is use Disk Utility to format the drive. I'd suggest using the "Write drive with zeros" (I'm not sure of the exact wording) option that you'll find by clicking the Options... button before doing the format. It takes longer than a standard formating, but it's more secure.

Hmmm... I'm selling it to a big friend of mine, so I think security isn't an issue... AFAIK, both me and him wouldn't mind just cleaning the Home folder, but you know, he doesn't need all those applications anyway... And it would be piracy... ;) :p And it's a good opportunity for a fresh start. I myself was thinking of backing up the drive and... But then I got my iMac G5 and I did the Firewire target disk thing, and now, I'm waiting for Tiger to erase and install 10.4 in my brand new machine. :)

So, do you think I should take the quickest route then? Don't forget I'll have to erase the disk, install Jaguar, AND upgrade to Panther... Besides, I'm tidying up this room. It's a huge mess: two iMacs and their respective boxes, a huuuge ugly PeeCee, the three of them sitting in the same desk, a giant bookcase, a bed... All covered with papers, CD cases and stuff. And my classes start tomorrow, I really have to get some sleep...

Thanks!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.