Battery light won't stop blinking.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently purchased a macbook, so I am a new mac user. I recently started using my macbook with no problems at all. But today, I used my macbook on battery till 70% and charged it with the charger. Once it hit 99% it stopped charging and the battery icon said it was fully charged, yet the magsafe adapter light was still on red. Not only that, the battery light indicator on the bottom of the macbook won't stop blinking. Is this normal? When I first got the macbook, I never noticed the battery light blinking when it was charging.

To make sure this was not a one time thing. I repeated the process again, and used the laptop to 70% and charged it. Again, the battery lights won't stop blinking and it only charges up to 99% and the magsafe adapter light is still on red, despite the indicator icon saying it was fully charged.

OP
F
Reaction score
The battery stops charging at 99% and say "battery is finishing charge" for over 15 minutes now. This has never happened before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
Hi guys, I recently purchased a macbook, so I am a new mac user. I recently started using my macbook with no problems at all. But today, I used my macbook on battery till 70% and charged it with the charger. Once it hit 99% it stopped charging and the battery icon said it was fully charged, yet the magsafe adapter light was still on red. Not only that, the battery light indicator on the bottom of the macbook won't stop blinking. Is this normal? When I first got the macbook, I never noticed the battery light blinking when it was charging.

To make sure this was not a one time thing. I repeated the process again, and used the laptop to 70% and charged it. Again, the battery lights won't stop blinking and it only charges up to 99% and the magsafe adapter light is still on red, despite the indicator icon saying it was fully charged.

Firstly, when a Mac is charging, the bottom battery light always blinks. This indicates that it is charging. usually Mac Batteries have 5 lights on the bottom. While it is charging, the 5 lights progressively light up as the battery charges. The last light will flash as the battery charges to indicate charging status.

Wen Mac batteries reach 99%, they trickle charge. There is something about that last 1% that the batteries take extra time. In the battery status, it will say "Finishing Charge" and generally will do that for 15-20 minutes (the "Finishing Charge" feature was added in 10.5.2, previously it would just stay at 99% for the 15-20 minutes).

Next time you see your indicator at 100% or full charge but the MagSafe says different, disconnect the MagSafe for 5 seconds, then reconnect it.

If you are having further troubles, contact Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.