Installing a DVD drive on an iMac 350

B

blah182

I recently bought an old iMac 350 Mhz Slot-Loading Model; the type that was released in 1999. There are used DVD drives from newer iMac's that are up for sale all over the internet, and I was wondering how I would install a drive like this in my Mac. Would it be dangerous to the hardware? Also, I have Mac OS X 10.2.8 installed on it, but for some reason it doesn't have the DVD player software installed on it that is supposed to be standard. There is an older version available on the Apple website for OS X 10.1.2 through 10.1.5 ONLY, but where can I get the NEW version? And do I have to install new drivers?

OP
B

Badger

While this kind of a changeover is basically a remove-and-replace operation getting into the iMac to access the drives can be a challenge. You can get an idea of it from this link: http://www.appletalk.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=436. This guide is for swapping the hard disk but doing the CD drive follows a similar procedure since the CD and the HD are mounted together. I'll let someone else handle the DVD & drivers issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.