Will Time Capsule/AirPort Extreme/AirPort Express work with any ethernet modem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
My scenario is common with a lot of people considering Apple's wireless solutions, but there doesn't seem to be much information about it.

I want to replace my current all in one wireless router and inbuilt adsl modem, with either time capsule, airport extreme or airport express. But each of these products needs an external ethernet modem to work with them. I've checked on the apple site about these products: time capsule, extreme, express

but they don't mention anything about compatibility with modems. So will they work with any ethernet modem whatsoever? The worrying thing is that, the only ethernet modem I can find on the Apple store is this netgear one which nearly everyone says doesn't work with the products!

Any advice on which one to get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The Airport Extreme and Time Capsule are just like every other wireless router. You connect a cable or DSL modem to it via Ethernet and it then splits the Internet between the various devices connected to the router.

You don't need to buy a separate modem, just use the one given to you by your Internet provider.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
I wasn't given one by my Internet Provider unfortunately. Researching online shows that there's not one modem that seems to be the standout one to buy.

Guess I'll just have to buy and try. Unless anybody has any advice? Or has anyone tried the Netgear modem?

Reaction score
I wasn't given one by my Internet Provider unfortunately. Researching online shows that there's not one modem that seems to be the standout one to buy.

Guess I'll just have to buy and try. Unless anybody has any advice? Or has anyone tried the Netgear modem?

You should call your Internet Provider. I use Cox and they only support certain modems. I use a Motorola Surfboard modem which Ive had for years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.