G4 Digital Audio fails to boot / spin

H

HoWheels

I hit the power button, it flashes for a split second, then nothing. With the case open, you can hear the power supply and HD's "begin" to start up, as well as a red LED lighting up, but then it dies after 1/2 second or so.

I have tried pulling/reseating all of the cards, memory, HD's, CD-ROM, etc ... CUDA switch, no luck.

I had my case cracked open for a few days before I started experiencing this behavior, so I theorized that perhaps some gunk got on the mobo.

I took a Que-tip to the entire mobo with rubbing alcohol. I got a marginal amount of gunk off it.

Oddly enough, the thing powered up after I did this!
BUT, it would not boot.
Power supply came on, drives spun up, light on the power button DID NOT come up, and there was no chime.

I turned it off ... came back to it maybe 20-30 minutes later, and I got the same behavior as before.
Hit the power, "spins" for a half second, then goes dead.
I just came back from radioshack with a new battery, and that did not help either.

Any other ideas?

-a

OP
A

adamburgess

I've also had this problem with a couple of Dual 867 G4s. The power light will stay on as long as you hold it but nothing else powers up. It doesn't happen all the time though.

I don't know if it's conicidence but pressing the PMU button on the main board helped once or twice...

Hope someone has the answer!

OP
H

HoWheels

adamburgess said:
I've also had this problem with a couple of Dual 867 G4s. The power light will stay on as long as you hold it but nothing else powers up. It doesn't happen all the time though.

I don't know if it's conicidence but pressing the PMU button on the main board helped once or twice...

Hope someone has the answer!

Oddly enough, I came back to my Mac this morning, after leaving it off, but plugged in. Hit the power button.

CHIME!!!!!

The stupid thing booted up!
For the first time in like 2 weeks!

What the ....

Well I guess I'm never going to turn it off again now ;)

-a

EDIT: Blah, I think I had some weird issues due to the video card being seated incorrectly. So I powered down, reseated, hit the power button. ARRRRGH!!!! I'm back to square one again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.