Leopard, will it run?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

As some of you saw, i posted looking for a quicksilver G4 computer, i finally found one and its on the way! Im pretty excited about making the jump (or at least half of one) to Mac OS. Now, the specs are dual 800's 1.25gb of ram and radeon 9000 video card. I saw one review and leopard ran just ok on a single 867 and 512mb of ram. With the specs of the system i bought, will leopard run pretty smoothly? One other thing, i purchased the system for $250 shipped, is that a decent deal for the specs im getting?

Thanks and i look forward to being a part of this community!

OP
M
Reaction score
I know what the spec requirements are for Leopard, but that is what he is including on the system. Now, my take was that they list the minimum to be 867 Single core, so theoretically, two 800's should be overly qualified, unless there is some different rule with dual core macs that im not aware of.

So, while i know the comp is below spec (depending on how you think of it), it should actually be above spec considering its dual processor. Correct my train of thought if im heading in the wrong direction please.

Thanks for the response!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I agree with you on that. But the Leopard Install disk might disagree. ;)
The link I sent for everymac.com says 10.4.11 max.
So either they are going by just the requirements or they tested it.
I would hate to see you buy Leopard and not be able to use it. I'll look around and see if anyone has been able to though. And if anyone else reading this knows for sure, please chime in!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pity Apple don't think the way you worked it out. Perhaps overclocking may well be the way to go. Have a look at Soulwar's last link and go over page to see how Krowmagnum overclocked his 800MHz. If you are an Everymac member I am sure Krow will answer any inquiry you may have.

OP
M
Reaction score
I agree with you on that. But the Leopard Install disk might disagree. ;)
The link I sent for everymac.com says 10.4.11 max.
So either they are going by just the requirements or they tested it.
I would hate to see you buy Leopard and not be able to use it. I'll look around and see if anyone has been able to though. And if anyone else reading this knows for sure, please chime in!

He is actually including leopard with the mac, so im not buying it. I read that you have to do a small software mod to get the computer to accept Leopard. Hes taking care of it either way. I really appreciate the links you gave me!

Im going to have to check out that overclocking option, i would assume that even a small 100mhz oc wouldn't warm things up too much :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Great stuff. Have sent you a PM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.