Time Capsule as a NAS, not working out so well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bottom-of-the-line MacBook
Got my Time Capsule, set it all up and everything seems to be working. Last night I dumped all my movies (divx) on to the hard drive and attempted to stream them to my laptop wirelessly. Worked almost perfectly, but I get a stutter every 6-7 seconds, which completely defeats the purpose.

This doesn't happen on my HTPC mini where it's wired to the time capsule. My only explanation is that I'm running 802.11g instead of n because my wife's laptop is old. However I was under the impression that the bandwidth of a g network should be sufficient.

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Get N. G sucks for video streaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Yeah g is fine for audio streaming but depending on the quality of the video you will need 802.11n.

Reaction score
Are you running Leopard? I found that streaming video with Leopard is flawless. I had several issues with streaming video with Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
goobimama is correct, video streaming isn't that great on 802.11g. All of my Macs have 802.11n and they all can stream video great.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just asking here, don't know - can't the router in the Time Capsule be set up as a combo network running both 'g' and 'n' rather than only one or the other? My current router does this just fine.

Reaction score
The Airport Extreme Base Station (and thus Time Capsule) can do both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz communications, but not at the same time (since there is only one radio inside). Some more expensive dual-band routers have 2 radios, and can use both bands simultaneously. These other routers may not be as user-friendly as Apple, and may not be as compatible with the AirPort cards built into your Mac.

Reaction score
The Airport Extreme Base Station (and thus Time Capsule) can do both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz communications, but not at the same time (since there is only one radio inside). Some more expensive dual-band routers have 2 radios, and can use both bands simultaneously. These other routers may not be as user-friendly as Apple, and may not be as compatible with the AirPort cards built into your Mac.

Wow, I didnt know that. I have an older laptop that only does G and my new MBP that does N. So what you are saying is I wouldnt be able to take advantage of N...disappointing.

EDIT:

I guess I could hook my existing Netgear router to the Time Capsule so my older laptop can use G on it. Anyone try this out?

Reaction score
Actually, you should be able to use Airport Extreme Base Station and Time Capsule with your older laptop (G) and new MBP (N) using the 2.4Ghz (compatible with 802.11b/g/n). However, you will not be able to use the 5Ghz since this is only compatible with 802.11a/n.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Reaction score
Actually, you should be able to use Airport Extreme Base Station and Time Capsule with your older laptop (G) and new MBP (N) using the 2.4Ghz (compatible with 802.11b/g/n). However, you will not be able to use the 5Ghz since this is only compatible with 802.11a/n.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, but I want N speeds for my new MBP. Since it cant do both like b/g use to work (different spectrum), I may have to use (2) wireless routers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you can use both the G and N devices on the Airport Extreme at the same time. The MBP will access the Time Capsule's hard drive at N speeds and the other computer will access it at G speeds. It's only when you are transferring files between the two computers will your MBP drop to G speeds.

Reaction score
Yes, you can use both the G and N devices on the Airport Extreme at the same time. The MBP will access the Time Capsule's hard drive at N speeds and the other computer will access it at G speeds. It's only when you are transferring files between the two computers will your MBP drop to G speeds.

So the Time Capsule has (2) radios transmitters or does it use the same one to transfer via g or n depending on what computer is being accessed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must have three antennas for a device to qualify as 802.11n certified, and the Airport Extreme has three internal antennas that give it MIMO functionality.

Reaction score
I think applemonkey is getting confused with the different frequencies available. If you use 2.4 GHz, then you can use 802.11b/g/n all at the same time. However, if you use 5 GHz, then you can use 802.11a/n at the same time.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
to the OP:
Is your MacBook an Intel Core 2 Duo? If so you can download the 802.11n enabler software from Apple ($1.99) to upgrade. Now if the wife's laptop is a PowerPC, then . . . sorry.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bottom-of-the-line MacBook
to the OP:
Is your MacBook an Intel Core 2 Duo? If so you can download the 802.11n enabler software from Apple ($1.99) to upgrade. Now if the wife's laptop is a PowerPC, then . . . sorry.
Wife's computer is a PC :(

I'm getting by by just keeping the videos I watch local.

New question: If I dump my iPhoto library on the Time Capsule can it be shared between both computers?

I want to keep my iTunes library local on my macbook, is there some software that will automatically update a copy on the time capsule so the mac mini can use it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel 2GB RAM Leopard
Wife's computer is a PC :(

I'm getting by by just keeping the videos I watch local.

New question: If I dump my iPhoto library on the Time Capsule can it be shared between both computers?

I want to keep my iTunes library local on my macbook, is there some software that will automatically update a copy on the time capsule so the mac mini can use it?

Try sharing the itunes libraries. That should help.

Reaction score
I use wireless n 5Ghz only and have streamed full 1080p movies to my MBP via wifi with no problems...with wires I get around 900Mbps including overhead so pretty hammers things very nicely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.