MBP multiboot clone upgrade 320GB HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 2.4Ghz 4GB TripleBoot OS X, XP Pro, Vista Bus. – Dual 2.0ghz G5/6GB/9800xt/320GBx2/Firmtek
Hello, this is my first post.

I have a 3 OS versions multiboot on my MBP. I need more drive space as the 160GB drive is not cutting it. I bought a 320GB WD Scorpio and have cloned the whole drive, all 3 OS's. The case is FW, Esata, and USb.

My TriBoot is setup through the terminal and doesn't use bootcamp. Selecting Windows boots to a screen where you can select Vista or XP.

I've cloned my entire internal disk (with Self Image on XP) to the new WD 320. Upon holding option I can boot Windows or Mac from the external firewire images.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM–––

I installed the new drive in the MBP. It boots fine to OS X. When I try to boot to Windows it says I need to put in the CD and restart. Going through the setup it gets to a screen to repair or reinstall the OS. I try to repair. It asks for my admin password that I put in and it says I have the wrong password. This is untrue it is the CORRECT password.

I wondering if this is a BIos problem since Mac doesn't have one. Or maybe it's my install CD, it was downloaded from Microsoft (iso image) MSDNAA which is free to students; but I had no trouble installing the OS's. I activated the XP but I haven't activated the Vista version yet.

Maybe it's impossible to upgrade your HD(w/multiboot) with existing software on it because Microsoft is lame. (It works on the MAC side) Or perhaps it is a hardware software compatibility issue. I put the previous HD back in and it boot to all 3 OS's. Please help I'm tired of taking my MBP apart to swap drives. I just want more space.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
I would suggest you install rEFIt which is a free replacement for Option key. The advantage being that just in case in your cloning process if your partition table has not been updated then you can do so with this utility.

One question to you. After you cloned 160GB disk to a 320GB disk, what happened to the remaining 160GB? Did you partition 320GB disk before cloning

OP
frodeo12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 2.4Ghz 4GB TripleBoot OS X, XP Pro, Vista Bus. – Dual 2.0ghz G5/6GB/9800xt/320GBx2/Firmtek
Thanks I'll try rEFIT.

So with rEFIT do you not have to hold down the option key anymore? Would if you just want it to boot to default startup automatically?

The remaining 160GB was unseen in Disk Util. but in Vista it appeared as unallocated space. I could extend my partitions if I formated it to Ntfs which was what my Windows partitions are under.

I made a new partition and then tried to install Linux on it but it froze at 15% on the install. I think the reason was because it was on an external.
After that I couldn't boot to Windows anymore. I formatted the WD HD again then recloned the HD with self image. Works again.

The internal 160GB that I've been cloning is 80GB MAC, 30GB XP, 30GB Vista.

My goal is to just have the bootable 3 OS's on the 320GB and allocate another 30GB to XP and 30GB to Vista, because 80GB is enough for Mac and have the remainder a Fat32 for storage. But installing Linux would be very nice, I really like Ubuntu and would like to learn it more.

Thanks for you swift reply.

OP
frodeo12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried rEFIT, it shows the Apple icon and 2 Windows symbols. Boots into Mac fine, the 1st Windows icon freezes my computer when selected. The second Windows icon goes to a black screen that says NTLDR is missing.

I think the problem is my multiboot system doesn't have efi or gpt. I exhausted many more hours trying to figure this out.

I can still use option to boot all 3 OS's.

Any further info to get this new cloned drive in my machine without losing my data will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.