Thinking about getting a mac

Z

Zachery

I've been thinking about getting a mac for a long time now, I am a windows man by all reason and wont be making a full switch.

However, i wanted to ask if there were any issues with the new imacs ? or anything i should be concerned about in general.

OP
M

m1k

Switch, and you'll never regret it. There is disadvantage of having Macs though, which is that you won't ever see the blue screen of death ever again, like you would on a Windows PC :(. Other than that, nothing to worry about switching. Practically all major apps are available for Mac and PC, everything just works, etc, etc. Just switch and you'll see.

I see you're going with an iMac G5. Nice sexy option. There's like one person in southern Alaska whose new iMac G5's fan wouldn't turn off, but that's about the only problem I can think of. The new iMac has gotten stellar reviews from pretty much everybody, go with it.

Oh, and good luck if you decide to switch!
m1k

OP
Z

Zachery

Thanks :) its not a switch, more of another computer, I have always been a fan of the mac, and i know quite abit about them (i work with them from time to time). At least more than the average pc user.

Are the iMacs that much better than the eMacs, processor line aside?

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
...Zachery?! From FTS?!

This is a joke.

OP
Z

Zachery

No... its not i googled, mac vbulletin and this is the first place i found.

Ive always been a fan of macs' :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Having a Mac as another computer will result in a switch. I was a windows user too. All it took for me was about 7 minutes in a CompUSA trying them out :)

OP
M

m1k

Are the iMacs that much better than the eMacs, processor line aside?

Yeah, they are a LOT better. Better screen, better video card, better processor, practically the same price. I wouldn't even consider an eMac. Word is they're being phased out completely. Sure, it's a few hundred more for the iMac, but you get so much more!

Oh, and good luck with your switch!

OP
Z

Zachery

witeshark said:
Having a Mac as another computer will result in a switch. I was a windows user too. All it took for me was about 7 minutes in a CompUSA trying them out :)
Doubtfull :) Ive used nice big dual G4's and dual g5's and i wasnt running out to buy one ;)

OP
C

Cloudane

It's all very loyal deciding to switch completely, but it's cutting your nose off to spite your face IMO. There are still special apps that some people have which are PC-only (my GBA flash writer and digiguide for a couple of random examples) and most of the games are on there too.

Of course people can be happy just owning a Mac, but I see no point in trying to twist someone's arm into ditching their PC completely just out of principle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Agreed, if you need a pc for that special obscure app that noone has ported yet, what's the shame in keeping it? (locked in your basement I mean, obviously!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.