AC power problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac, G4 B&W
Not sure if this problem is limited to the eMac model only: After moving to an older house(with older wiring), I hooked up my eMac and the peripherals which were powered from different outlets.

The wall socket for the eMac was wired wrong(hot wire & neutral reversed). Normally this wouldn't matter much. However, the motherboard chassis ground now had 110 volts ac applied to it. When I plugged in a USB cable from a printer, the cable ground contacted the USB socket ground (at 110 v) and fuses blew all over.

The end result was a fried printer circuit board and one disabled USB port on the eMac.

If anyone is using an older power source for the first time, spend $5 for a plug-in tester which will tell you of wiring problems.

P.S. Did I mention that this problem is potentially fatal to someone touching a 'grounded' spot on the computer that is actually live?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.