Encryption Help!

Reaction score
I'm not a new switcher, but I feel like this is a n00b question.

(I'm running Leopard, keep in mind!)

I'm lending out my 500GB external HD and I'd like to lock things up before giving it away.
I understand the basics of using the Disk Utility to create a .dmg that opens a password locked folder... I just have some questions about it!

1. The "Volume Size" when creating the new Disk Image... if I choose 100MB, will this folder only hold that much? So I should make it like... 200GB-ish?
And if I make it Sparse, it will shrink accordingly so it doesn't take up too much space, right?
(Just trying to make sure I'm not way off, here!)

2. I don't understand the whole Journaled thing... what Volume Format should I choose for what reasons?

3. There are a TON of choices for Partitions, and I know I just want one... but there are options, what should I choose?! DO I need a "map"?

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
I use truecrypt on my USB stick, you can encrypt a folder or the whole device. Check it out, it may be what you need. Oh, and it is free

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.