Screen Saver Password casues errors

Reaction score
10% of the time that I enter in my password from the screen saver , the screen opens up and flashes my display for half a second and then blacks out and all i can see is my cursor. So i close the top and open it and nothing happens.. I have to hit the space bar a few times then it makes it little noise and prompts me for the pass word.

why does this happen 10% of the time.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I think a better question would be, "Why does it happen at all?"

You don't say what your system is, but I'm guessing it's a laptop. I am also guessing that when this happens, your laptop is unplugged (and perhaps also happens when waking it from sleep). I am ALSO guessing that it more likely happens if you wait a few seconds to type in the password, rather than immediately keying your password.

So I could be way off, but I have seen this behavior occasionally (less than 10%) with my work MacBook, which is unplugged much more often than the one at home. If I don't immediately enter the password, it appears to go back to sleep (except the cursor), but then gives me another go a few keyboard taps later. The little noise is the SuperDrive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.