? about upgrading from Tiger to Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
Hi all,

I am getting my mother to switch from Windows to mac (yeah) and she lives a few hundred miles from me and I want to be able to answer all of her questions when she has a problem so I was going to upgrade my tiger to leopard so we would both be running the same thing. My question is this, after I upgrade will I have to do anything to all my programs to get them working again? I was looking at doing the upgrade, not a clean install. I only want to do the clean install if I run into problems with the upgrade. I was just worried that I would be made to jump through a bunch of hoops to get thing like my PS.cs or Final Draft working again if I do the upgrade. In my perfect world I would just be able to do the upgrade and all my programs would never know the difference. Any info on this would be great guys. I plan on heading over to her home early next week so any advice before then would be great. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
From what I've heard, just upgrading will cause problems and sometimes lead to doing a clean install. I would backup any files and programs you wish to keep first. You could try the Archive and Install, before doing a clean Install.
But be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you don't have access to an external hard drive for backup purposes, I would recommend doing an Archive & Install. Using this option preserves your OS and all programs, settings and data while still doing a clean install.

Reaction score
If you don't have access to an external hard drive for backup purposes, I would recommend doing an Archive & Install. Using this option preserves your OS and all programs, settings and data while still doing a clean install.

Having had to install Leopard twice, after the 10.5.2. upgrade went wrong, I decided to do a clean install on an external hard drive. I am running Leopard from there until I am happy with it, and keeping Tiger on my macbook's internal hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Archive and Install is the way to go, IMO. It really does minimize a lot of issues with application integration that are already loaded on your machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
Archive and Install is the way to go, IMO. It really does minimize a lot of issues with application integration that are already loaded on your machine.

So how exactly does this work. Does it leave my programs completely alone so I don't have to put the discs in and reinstall and activate the programs.

After the Archive ans install will the programs be right where they should be or will they be in a back up folder, if in a back up folder what do I do, just drag them back to applications and they will work?

Sorry guys, I am a somewhat recent switcher myself and this will be my first mac O.S. upgrade.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Upgrade is not as bad as it has been said. I've seen so many macs being upgraded and no problems. Maybe a few more problems than a clean install, but for a lot of people the upgrade path just works.

Make sure you haven't installed unsanity's App Enhancer though. Cause that's a definite BSOD.

Reaction score
If you do upgrade, do you need to reload all of your serial numbers for certain programs, because i lost my box for final cut studio, and dont want to upgrade or clean install and not be able to use it. can i put an application on a harddrive and not have to worry about redoing all the serial numbers?

Reaction score
When I took the upgrade route, 2 or 3 programs did need their Serial Number/Registration Key to be re-installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.