Linux user fixing a friends iBook (G3) help!

Reaction score
Hello members,

I am looking for some advice, in this mac realm.

Friends problems ;
1: can't connect to compatible wireless modem router using airport card. (sky bb)
2: can't install iWork.

My understandings (so far)
Q 1: Sky broadband requires the mac OS to be above 10.2.*, currently the iBook is 10.1.5
Q 1: Wireless on mac's require a '$' doller sign to proceed the encryption key.
Q 2: iWork requires a G4.

Basically, to stop me from ranting about why this friend of mine should use open source software on her mac. Can anyone here make me look stupid by pointing out some obvious things to check and do.
I mean, Is it possible to upgrade a (G3) iBook from 10.1.5 to 10.*.*
How far will a G3 go?
Why should I not install Ubuntu and every program she will ever need for free???

Any help and ranting welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
How far will a G3 go?
It depends on which iBook she has. There have been a few. This site can help with detemining the maximum OS.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/index-ibook.html

OS Requirements:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106163
For iWork:
http://www.apple.com/iwork/systemrequirements.html

Why should I not install Ubuntu and every program she will ever need for free???
I think only she could answer that. Will she be able to use it and like it?
What works for one doesn't always work for another.

OP
M
Reaction score
In linux I'd usualy type something like apt-get upgrade

I guess closed sourceness requires legal installs
is this the case?
I asume 10.1.0 is base
where as 10.1.5 is an upgrade...
are mac OS's freely distributional like linux?
Or is this another 'buy me' requirement by corperations?

Sick and tired of purchasing software, seriously don't see any gains, what so ever... again prove me wrong and woo me to mac alternatives

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Sick and tired of purchasing software, seriously don't see any gains, what so ever... again prove me wrong and woo me to mac alternatives
We can not woo you over to using an Apple system. That is a decision you will have to come too. As for your friend, she chooses and Apple system. Now getting down to the question.

Friends problems ;
1: can't connect to compatible wireless modem router using airport card. (sky bb)
2: can't install iWork.

My understandings (so far)
Q 1: Sky broadband requires the mac OS to be above 10.2.*, currently the iBook is 10.1.5
Q 1: Wireless on mac's require a '$' doller sign to proceed the encryption key.
Q 2: iWork requires a G4.

Basically, to stop me from ranting about why this friend of mine should use open source software on her mac. Can anyone here make me look stupid by pointing out some obvious things to check and do.
How far will a G3 go?
I know her system should be able to be upgraded to 10.3.9, but you will need to purchase a copy of OS X 10.3. You should be able the sky broadband.

I believe that you need the '$' to proceed the encryption pass word as you stated.

As for iWork the current requirement her system does not appear to meet them.

A Macintosh computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5 or PowerPC G4 (500MHz or faster) processor
Mac OS X version 10.4.10 or later
QuickTime 7.2 or later

You can an application like openoffice for her word prcessing needs. Which is free I believe.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you

Hello all...

I'd like to say thank you for your responses, Gonna leave it upto the owner to decide on buying the OS.
By chance, does anyone know a respectable company that sells the OS in the UK? Not a fan of ebay, sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.