Internet on my Mac Pro via an ethernet cable from a wireless MacBook?

Reaction score
I am connected to a wireless network with my macbook. I have a Mac Pro 2.66 that does not have Airport Extreme.

How do I configure the two computers so that I can have internet via my Macbook to my Mac Pro connected by an ethernet cable? Can you do that?

Thanks to the network guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You need to utilize Internet sharing Airport to Ethernet, then connect them via a crossover cable (directly) or plug them both into a switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
On the MacBook, go to System Preferences> Sharing> Internet Sharing. You should be able to share the ethernet connection with the Mac Pro.
I know it works the other way away around. I had a Mac with a cable connection that would share the wireless connection. Don't see why it wouldn't work both ways.

OP
snowmanZ
Reaction score
On the MacBook, go to System Preferences> Sharing> Internet Sharing. You should be able to share the ethernet connection with the Mac Pro.
I know it works the other way away around. I had a Mac with a cable connection that would share the wireless connection. Don't see why it wouldn't work both ways.

Schweet!!

I'm now surfing on my mac pro.

Thanks so much for the help, I totaly forgot about those sharing settings, I was only focusing on the Network area.

Reaction score
Not working for me

I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to keep all the information about this topic in one place. I set up everything as instructed in this post (I have a macbook wirelessly connected to a local network with an ethernet cable going to the mac pro). Yet when I do this, I get no connection on the mac pro and then the internet connection on the macbook is cut off. When I unplug the ethernet cable from the macbook, the connection is up again. This is a pain. Any good ideas out there?

Reaction score
Bump!

i have EXACTLY the same problems as the last post. Any ideas?? Its driving me up the wall.

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to keep all the information about this topic in one place. I set up everything as instructed in this post (I have a macbook wirelessly connected to a local network with an ethernet cable going to the mac pro). Yet when I do this, I get no connection on the mac pro and then the internet connection on the macbook is cut off. When I unplug the ethernet cable from the macbook, the connection is up again. This is a pain. Any good ideas out there?

I know this is a very old threat but in case anyone need the info. It does work to use mbp as your router for the mp.

1) The key is you need an ethernet crossover cable. The regular ethernet cable doesn't work as I just tried it.

2) Once your mbp is set as described above
(A. system preferences
B. sharing
C. internet sharing
D. airport to ethernet)

3) on the mp: follow step A thru C. On step D do: Share your connection from Ethernet 1 / To computers using: Ethernet 2 (checked) If this doesn't work then reverse the order from Ethernet 2 to Ethernet 1.
A dialogue box might come up warning you that this might interrupt your network and internet service provider might cut off service because this might infringe contract rights or what have you.....when that comes up just hit ok
4) Start

Step 4 might come up before step 3 not sure.

Anyways, these are the steps i took and it worked.

Reaction score
I have tried this but the wifi from one mac to the other was just to weak so it would not actually connect to any websites...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.