New MacBook Pro RAM Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 Macbook Pro, 2.5, 200GB 7200rpm HDD, 4GB RAM- 24" iMac 2.9, 1TB HDD, 4GB, 2 iPhones, 3 iPods
I just switched!! I have been a pc user for about ten years. I have only owned dell notebooks and I have hated every one of them. Garbage! So, finally, I took the plunge. I have a new 15.4 Macbook Pro 2.5 GHZ, 200GB 7200rpm HDD and 2GB RAM on the way. I can’t wait!

Apple wanted a fortune to preinstall 4gbs of ram on my machine. So I opted to wait and upgrade with after market ram for a fraction of the price. I will be running Final Cut Express and Logic Pro Studio so I think the extra ram would be helpful. I have looked at new egg and they have a few options that look good to me but I don’t know a lot about ram and would like some suggestions. I want my Macbook to be as fast a possible and I don’t mind spending extra to get a good product. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
http://dealnews.com/memory/

Great place to find 3rd party ram. Make sure and buy 2x2gb sticks, since you currently have 2x1gb in your mbp. I just picked up the new 2.4 mbp, simply amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You should also check out Crucial and Newegg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whitebook 2.2, 4gb RAM, 200gb 7200RPM HD
You should also check out Crucial and Newegg

I second both of the places. My most recent RAM purchase for my whitebook was from Newegg. I picked up 4gigs for a little over $100 before rebate.

Kat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
Welcome to the world of Mac. Now I have to ask, if you hated the Dell laptops so much, why on Earth would you keep buying them? There are only about 200 other laptop companies out there. Mind you almost all of them are based off the same 5 OEMs, but they still have their differences. I just can not see buying from a company over and over if I did not like their product.

As for the memory, I generally tell people to so to a site like www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com and see what memory works in their rig, then you know what to buy at whatever site you like :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 Macbook Pro, 2.5, 200GB 7200rpm HDD, 4GB RAM- 24" iMac 2.9, 1TB HDD, 4GB, 2 iPhones, 3 iPods
Thanks for the suggestions. Are there types/brands of RAM for my machine that will be faster that others?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to the world of Mac. Now I have to ask, if you hated the Dell laptops so much, why on Earth would you keep buying them?

Yea I know. But my first dell was purchased for me by my parents to use at college, so I didn't have much choice in the matter. That notebook got stolen from my office. Insurance came to my rescue and bought me a new one but it to be like the old one. I probably could have argued the point and got a different brand but I didn't and I had not yet fully matured in my anti pc sentiments. So this MacBook is my third notebook and I can't wait to make the transition.

I ordered my macbook last thursday and it hasn't shipped yet. The apple website says my order is prepared to ship, so hopefully I'm only a few more days away from fully making my transition into the mac community!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like I didn't use the quote option right. Sorry about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Crucial itself is a good brand. Some others to look for are G.Skill, Corsair, OCZ, and A-Data.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the help. I am going with a Kingston 4gb kit from Newegg.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
If you ever need any other Hardware upgrades for your MBP than Macsales.com is also a good site. You can chose your laptop model and everything and than it will show you all the RAM and HDDs and what not that are compatible with your specific Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.