Running windows programs virtually on Macs

Reaction score
Are there any freeware programs that can run windows programs on a mac without having to actually run windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black; 2.2 ghz core duo; 2 gb 667 mhz DDR2 SDRam; 8x SuperDrive; 160 gb hdd
Free trial of Parallels for 30 days I believe....

O Emulator...
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20830/

If you want quality though, and simplicity, you may have to shell out a bit for Parallels or VMWare Fusion...best two by far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP15/iMac20/ATV/Airport/iPodtouch/etc.
Are there any freeware programs that can run windows programs on a mac without having to actually run windows?

Nothing free is good forever. Try VMware Fusion trial version, but eventually you will have to pay for it.

Reaction score
I think there are at least two such freeware programs - but since I already use Parallels and VM Fusion, I have not investigated further that much.

Reaction score
Rambaud,

You use Parallels and Fusion at the same time? On the same computer? How do you do that, exactly? Does one program access a Boot Camp partition while the other does not? Just curious, because I want to demo Fusion, but I've already paid for and installed (and re-installed) Parallels.

I love it when it works, but when something goes wrong - as it has recently - their "support" is so incredibly pathetic that I think I'd have to uninstall and reinstall every time I ran into a problem. I've heard that Fusion's support is much better.

James

Reaction score
Rambaud,

You use Parallels and Fusion at the same time? On the same computer? How do you do that, exactly? Does one program access a Boot Camp partition while the other does not? Just curious, because I want to demo Fusion, but I've already paid for and installed (and re-installed) Parallels.

I love it when it works, but when something goes wrong - as it has recently - their "support" is so incredibly pathetic that I think I'd have to uninstall and reinstall every time I ran into a problem. I've heard that Fusion's support is much better.

James

No, not at the same time - but both are installed on the same computer. I don't use Bootcamp.

However, last night I (rather rashly) decided to open them both at the same time. Bad idea!

Parallels was the first one opened, and that was OK. But Fusion did not open fully so I tried to close the VM down. It would not close, but froze in a Suspended State, and none of the other Fusion VM machines would open. :(

I tried Fusion again this morning, but the Suspended VM seems to be preventing any other VM from opening. Unless I can find a solution, I may have to re-install Fusion (should be easy), but my VM machines may be corrupted (not so good.)

Reaction score
I am trying to run a program on cross over, and after trying to run the install cd it says unsupported application. can anyone here help me with this? I really have no idea what im doing. any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.4.11 2 GB RAM
I've run Windows xp with Parallels for the last year; it's worked well. But two days ago I installed a xp update and now Parallels wont boot. Anyone got any answers?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.