Can't connect to Windows 2k Server share

Reaction score
I've been searching for the past 2 weeks for the answer to this, and have tried every suggestion I've found, but nothing works. Here are the specifics:

I am running Tiger and am trying to connect to a shared folder on a locally-networked Windows 2000 Server. I can see the server in my Network, and when I try to connect to it, am prompted for a password. No password is required so I leave it blank and click OK. The next pop-up is an error stating: "The alias [server-name] could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found." If I do Go>Connect to Server> then enter smb://ServerName/ShareName/, I am again prompted for a password, which I leave blank and click OK. This time I get the error: "Could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct."

I can connect to other PC's on my network, just not the main server, which is running Windows 2K Server. I have gone through all the Local Security Policies on the server, and disabled everything that could possibly cause my Mac to have an authentication error. I have also checked the settings on my Mac, SMB is enabled, Windows Sharing, etc.

Does anyone have a solution for this, or a suggestion for something I may have overlooked?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.