How do I set up Mail to sync with my Hotmail account?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am trying to set up Mail on my iMac and iPhone to use my Hotmail account, but I don't know where to get all the information it wants. I also don't know if its IMAP or POP.

Can someone guide me through setting it up, as having it working on my iPhone would be great.

Thanks,
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Hi everyone,

I am trying to set up Mail on my iMac and iPhone to use my Hotmail account, but I don't know where to get all the information it wants. I also don't know if its IMAP or POP.

Can someone guide me through setting it up, as having it working on my iPhone would be great.

Thanks,
Paul

Hotmail's rather archaic so you have to use POP. Set up your Incoming Mail Server as pop3.live.com and your username as your full email address. Your outgoing server is smtp.live.com and you want to use SSL (this should setup your outgoing port as 25). Furthermore, you want to use Password authentication for your outgoing mail, with username as previously described and your password as whatever your password is. I hope this helps.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks,

I've got the account set up, but it keeps rejecting my password when I try to receive mail. Any ideas? And yes, I have got my password correct! :)

Paul

Reaction score
Thanks,

I've got the account set up, but it keeps rejecting my password when I try to receive mail. Any ideas? And yes, I have got my password correct! :)

Paul
I am actually having the exact same problem. If you find out what to do please say so! thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
You have to pay for pop access for hotmail. Your best bet would be to forward your mail to a gmail account and than use that with mail. And eventually give up hotmail, its old and gmail is free with more features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
yep...POP account for hotmail is only for premium members...so unless you want to shell out the money stick to gmail...or whatever other free service you can get that allows POP access

Reaction score
Both Hotmail and Yahoo mail charge for POP and IMAP ( which is needed for mails to be downloaded to any mail clients like Apple mail , mozilla thunderbird ) . Google mail ( Gmail ) gives such services free.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, G5
tried the info from the links but get message on mail that says 'password rejected by pop3.live etc'. any one else had this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
tried the info from the links but get message on mail that says 'password rejected by pop3.live etc'. any one else had this?

Nice job resurrecting a 13 month old thread.

Did you do this?

Mail3.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Nice job resurrecting a 13 month old thread.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that if it's relevant.

It also proves they at least tried searching for an answer first before just posting unlike 99% of new people. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Absolutely nothing wrong with that if it's relevant.

It also proves they at least tried searching for an answer first before just posting unlike 99% of new people. ;)

Fully agree. It was a sincere "nice job". :)
Things don't always come across properly when typed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.