Shipping a Macbook Pro to Japan

Reaction score
I am currently thinking about buying my first Mac, and I like the MacBook Pro the best. However, does anyone know how to get one sent to Japan?

I'm currently living and teaching in Japan, but I'd really like an American version of the MBP. I don't want to deal with the Japanese OS.

I've tried buying from the US Apple Store, as well as a couple other online retailers from the US. None will send to Japan. I do not want to buy from Apple in Japan.

Does anyone know what will happen if I just buy it, ship it to my parents, and then have them ship it here? Will I have to pay some crazy $300 import tax or something?

Thank you for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
I think the option of you sending it to your parents and then having them send it to you should be your last and final option.

Maybe drop by the Apple Store in Japan and see if they can order it. I've been to the Apple store in Osaka (Shinsaibashi) and they seem to have OSX Leopard in the American version so maybe, just maybe, they will give you the option of buying an English version MBP OS.

Check this website out. http://www.apple.com/jp/store/english/

Give them a call and see if you can grab a MBP. For me I was lucky and bought my MBP before coming to Japan.

Hope it works out for you. The MBP is great.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I gave a call to Apple Japan that was in your link.

While they were able to give me assurance that a MBP could come with an English OS and keyboard, they told me they couldn't do anything with the price.

Unfortunately, Japan's entry MBP is about $2500, while the US is at $2000.

I can get the education discount in either store, but even then I'm being overcharged $500. (Not exact, it's probably closer to $400)

I wish I knew someone in Apple that could pull a few strings. I don't mind paying full retail for a US MBP, but I'd rather not be raped an extra $500 from Apple Japan.

I really wish I knew what customs would charge if I get it sent to my parents first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
You could always have it shipped to a U.S. military base if you know someone in the military over there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
blackbook 2.0ghz 2gb
I've ordered in Japan and the OS is fully multilingual although all physical documentation, manuals and such, are in Japanese. You can choose a keyboard in either standard US English or Japanese. Not sure about the prices now but Apple Japan has their stuff together with service, shipping, English help, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't know why you would need to pay some import tax. How/why would they even know what you're shipping? Is it typical for their postal service to rip open any package coming from overseas and check it out to see whether or not they should charge you for whatever is in the box?

I've purchased things from overseas, and I've bought things internationally while living overseas, but I've never experienced anything like what you're worried about. Maybe I was lucky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
For $500, you can get a round-trip ticket back home to pick up your Macbook!

While I think it's always better to buy locally, for no other reason than the fact that if you have a problem or warranty claim, I feel it's better to deal with the store you bought it from, don't rule-out having your parents shipping it to you. To my recollection, Japan no longer has duties on computer equipment. If that is the case, then spending $50 (just a wild guess) to have it shipped express, insured would well be worth it.

Check the tariff schedule below (I didn't see any mention of computers), and with the Japanese customs office to reconfirm if you decide to go down this route.

http://www.customs.go.jp/english/tariff/2008/index.htm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know why you would need to pay some import tax. How/why would they even know what you're shipping? Is it typical for their postal service to rip open any package coming from overseas and check it out to see whether or not they should charge you for whatever is in the box?

I've purchased things from overseas, and I've bought things internationally while living overseas, but I've never experienced anything like what you're worried about. Maybe I was lucky.

When shipping overseas, one typically must declare the contents and its value. If customs suspects that the contents is other than what you have declared, or that you are undervaluing the contents, they will in fact open the package. I've had that occur in at least one instance when shipping an item to Japan that was covered by the tariff schedule.

Fortunately, most industrialized countries have either done away with duties on most items, or let it slide when an item is being shipped by an individual. Before the Euro appreciated massively against the U.S. dollar, I used to buy quite a lot from the EC, and never got dinged on duties.

Reaction score
Why not buy the MBP in Japan (if price isnt the only issue) and purchase Leopard from abroad and do a reinstall. Seems the simplest solution..dont you think ?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Why not buy the MBP in Japan (if price isnt the only issue) and purchase Leopard from abroad and do a reinstall. Seems the simplest solution..dont you think ?????

there would be no reason to buy the "american" leopard and re-install since as far as I know there is only one version of leopard and it contains all of the languages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there would be no reason to buy the "american" leopard and re-install since as far as I know there is only one version of leopard and it contains all of the languages.

I believe you're correct, as I've got multiple languages running on my iMac bought State-side.

The only other potential issues, as mentioned by others, are the instruction manuals and the keyboard, and the keyboard apparently can be had in the standard English (versus the funky Japanese) version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.