Mac Housekeeping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24ins 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I have had my lovely iMac for nearly three weeks now. Is there any general 'housekeeping' I should be doing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Some people will say certain things and recommend certain programs like Onyx, etc. for general maintainance, these steps generally do things that your Mac does by itself periodically anyway with its own maintainance scripts. At least, that's my current understanding of things.

Some folks recommend that you regularly repair disk permissions, but I've never seen the need.

So, generally, there's not a whole lot of maintainance or housekeeping things that you need to do. The Mac is just that good. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Onyx is good for finding hard to find files and getting rid of them. Plus it has an easy to read gui. It's helped me on more than one occasion when I was searching for HDD space.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies. I suspected that I might be a little over anxious at the smooth running and sheer ease of use of the iMac - can only blame experience of 13 years Windows use!

djs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2.66Ghz
Houskeeping

hi pineapple,
I have been on macs for 10 years or so, well my first was a G4 AGP graphics "Sawtooth". The next was a G4 "MDD", which I still have, and now a mac pro. I have Onyx, but very rarely use it. Just let the mac do its own thing and it all seems to be fine. Touch wood I don't seem to get any probs. So all I can recommend is doing nothing !

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi pineapple,
I have been on macs for 10 years or so, well my first was a G4 AGP graphics "Sawtooth". The next was a G4 "MDD", which I still have, and now a mac pro. I have Onyx, but very rarely use it. Just let the mac do its own thing and it all seems to be fine. Touch wood I don't seem to get any probs. So all I can recommend is doing nothing !

How wonderful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I get problems here and there, but nothing related to upkeep so far. Mine mostly have to do with photoshop crashes, which would be Adobe's fault and not Apple's

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.