avi files in iMovie?

Reaction score
Hey, is there a way to work with avi files in iMovie? I am asking since this is the standard my digital camera uses. Or anybody knows a good software to convert an avi file to a working standard?
Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Download and install the codec pack Perian. You should then be able to import avi files into iMovie.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Download and install the codec pack Perian. You should then be able to import avi files into iMovie.

Thanks for your help but iMovie still does not import avi files. At least Quicktime tries to play them now but crashes everytime...

Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could always try converting them to a format that iMovie natively supports, such as h.264. There are a variety of converters out there, such as iSquint, ffmpegX, and VisualHub

Reaction score
Hmmm. I have Perian installed and can import and edit .avi files in iMovie HD? You can't do it with iMovie though...weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess it's just another one of those limitations that the new version of iMovie has. Perhaps we can see this feature added along with a bunch of others in the next version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.