help - newbie question re iMac and Apple TV.... thanks

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I just got a new iMac and also Apple TV. Currently, i have the option to connect both iMac and Apple TV to a home network which exists in our apartment building via LAN cable.
My question is: If I do that, can I still use the airport wireless function to stream content to the Apple TV from the iMAc (with built in wireless) without having a wireless router or anything in between?
So: iMac connected via cable to internet (LAN) - same for Apple TV.
And for syncing both ONLY i want to use wireless - can I do out of the box by "directly" linking Apple TV and iMAC? Without some sort of router/wireless modem in between??
Hope someone can help with this basic question. I should mention the home network is (as far as I understand) not my "personal" one, as it is sopmething pre-installed in the ENTIRE apartment block.

Thanks
Kurt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP15/iMac20/ATV/Airport/iPodtouch/etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

My question is: If I do that, can I still use the airport wireless function to stream content to the Apple TV from the iMAc (with built in wireless) without having a wireless router or anything in between?

Kurt

No ! The ATV is connecting wireless with your router(Airport Extreme) not with the wireless from your iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.