Format Maxtor External Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17-inch model 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
I currently have a maxtor external hard drive that was formatted on a pc as ntfs file system. my mac can only read and not write to it. what is the best way to format it on the mac using disk utility? I would like it to read and write on both pc and mac. Does it need to be fat 32??

any suggestions would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Yes, if you want to read it on Windows and OS X you'll need FAT32. Disk Utility would be the easiest way I would think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can keep it NTFS but would need to install something called MacFuse for you to be able to write to it in OS X. You could also go with HFS+ but then need something called MacDrive installed on Windows to read and write to it.

So to summarize, it's just easier to stick with FAT32.

Reaction score
Hi, i to have a maxtor drive. formatted it using Mac Disk Utility. Tried hooking it up to my old dell inspiron laptop that has windows xp home on it. and it still would not recognize it at all. i formated the hard drive with my macbook pro. could it be that the firmware on my dell isnt updated enough?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Any computer made in the last...well, a long time, will support FAT32. Are you sure you formatted it as FAT32?

Also, as a note, if you have any file > 4GB, you won't be able to put them on the FAT32 formatted HD. FAT32 doesn't support files > 4GB.

Reaction score
i believe so.... please look at the attached screenshot. thanks for your help. I'm in the processes of selling my dell and I'm trying to transfer everything to that external HDD.

Picture 1.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.