Media Player 11 alternative

Reaction score
Hey I'm a fan of both PC's and Mac's and as much as I like Mac OSX I'm not a big fan of iTunes and am a big fan of Windows Media Player 11 when it comes to organizing and playing mp3s. Is there a mac program similar to the new Windows Media Player? (Almost all my music is in complete albums and I think WMP deals this better, the way it sets out the music library, picture before each album, the way it lists the artists, genre's etc, or is there just any other mac program that has a sophisticated "Library" mode)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Hey I'm a fan of both PC's and Mac's and as much as I like Mac OSX I'm not a big fan of iTunes and am a big fan of Windows Media Player 11 when it comes to organizing and playing mp3s. Is there a mac program similar to the new Windows Media Player? (Almost all my music is in complete albums and I think WMP deals this better, the way it sets out the music library, picture before each album, the way it lists the artists, genre's etc, or is there just any other mac program that has a sophisticated "Library" mode)

I won't argue with you, but iTunes also does all of this...

But anyway, you might like Songbird, it has bit of WMP feel to it and certainly offers an alternative to iTunes. It's still really in development, but AFAIK is pretty reliable.

There is also VLC, which is also open source and many people swear by it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Cheers, yeah VLC is great plays anything but was really looking for the whole library mode. i'l check out Songbird looks good. I'm suprised that theres not more, PC users often badmouth iTunes (unreasonably, it's a very capable program) I thought it would be quite a popular field to develop.

OP
A
Reaction score
Songbird crashes whenever i go into options. If I un-check "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library" in the latest version of iTunes it will leave whatever MP3's I add to the library completely un-altered right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Songbird crashes whenever i go into options. If I un-check "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library" in the latest version of iTunes it will leave whatever MP3's I add to the library completely un-altered right?

It should leave the source files unaltered, but the files copied to iTunes folder will get the special Apple treatment (i.e. they won't make sense in Finder, but will look great through the app.

I think the reason for the lack of alternatives is really because iTunes is the only way to manage your music if you use the iTunes store and/or you use an iPOD.

J

JohnDennerRocks

Coverting AIFF files or WAV to MPS with ITUNES?

With my old PC using Media 11 it was easy to convertmy CD songs to MP3 files.

How is this done using my MAC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With my old PC using Media 11 it was easy to convertmy CD songs to MP3 files.

How is this done using my MAC?

Use iTunes, and change the default encoding to MP3 (Under preferences, Advanced, Importing)

However you should know that at the same bit-rate, ACC offers better quality than MP3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.