• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

3G iPhone coming within 4 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
i sure hope so !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Dang, I just bought an iPhone 16GB. Oh well, there goes another $500.00.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You know, EDGE has been getting a bit on my nerves lately, I just might be willing to shell out the money for the 3G upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz

srp

Reaction score
I was afraid of this, but I got impatient and bought an 8 Gig iPhone on the 26 of February. Of course, I am within that margin of time of returning the iPhone (and paying the 10% restocking fee) and wait for the 3G update.

Question is: should I?

What would you do in my situation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
Here's my question. If you already have an iPhone, can you put your current SIM card in the new iPhone and it'll just work (all activated and such)? Like just upgrading the handset itself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Here's my question. If you already have an iPhone, can you put your current SIM card in the new iPhone and it'll just work (all activated and such)? Like just upgrading the handset itself?

No, you have to activate through iTunes if you want to use it legally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Hopefully Rogers in Canada will get it also it will be right around the time I am due for a new phone too.

Maybe I can finally consolidate my iPod and Phone into a single device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reigns surpeme
Only iffy part is, what am i going to do with my edge phone. I would mind paying $100 and trading in my phone for the 3g one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I doubt that but who knows.
EDGE in downtown Chicago is pathetic. I can't connect to AT&T in Grant Park. I get around 80kbps in the middle of my living room and I live just outside the loop. I used to near or over 200kbps at my last place that was 8 miles west.
I wouldn't upgrade to 3G though. I will wait till my two years are up before I swap.

Reaction score
Hm...

I don't think it's gonna happen. I'd say it gets delayed until November+

Anything is possible with Apple. HOWEVER, they will not release an update (excluding software updates available via download) in November. When giving a product a release date the holiday rush (christmas etc.) is a sort of backbone. After the first week or so in October you miss the holiday sales.

When Apple releases the 3G iPhone this year, it will be before the first week/week and a half in October. I'm hoping they release is soon as I plan on buying one and switching to AT&T :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 20" 2 GHZ 4MB, Macbook, Iphone, Ipod Touch
What is a 3G phone? Looked everywhere for a definition and still can't find out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
It's an iPhone that uses AT&T's 3G wireless network instead is the much slower, current EDGE network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
What is a 3G phone? Looked everywhere for a definition and still can't find out.

3G is basically a faster data network. So thing such as browsing the internet would be a lot quicker using a 3G network than a convential network that uses GPRS/EDGE.

check this Wiki entry: Wiki on 3G

Chris ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
3G + 32gb will be enough for me to upgrade from my 8gb/EDGE iPhone. The 1.1.4 update helped a lot with my reception, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
If they do release a 3G, do you think they'll have a way for existing iPhone users to upgrade their handset (without getting a new contract)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
If they do release a 3G, do you think they'll have a way for existing iPhone users to upgrade their handset (without getting a new contract)?

It's probably just a simple SIM swap, I'd imagine.

I'm almost hoping they release a 16gb 3G model first, and then a 32gb 3G model later. That way we can see what bugs 3G introduces, how it affects battery life, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
There shouldn't be any new features entirely, so i wonder if they will put in the 3G chip in your current iPhone?(for a fee- obviously- it's apple after all)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.