• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVI to DVD: I THINK I'VE GOT IT!

C

chang6776

I'm pretty new to this, but i think I have solved a lot of my own problem. Hopefully this can help others as well. As a mac user I have found that exploration, research and experimentation have been the keys to my success. I want to thank all those who responded to my initial post.

Although some progress has been made, I am still in the experimental phase of my theory. What I found, was that in order to put an AVI onto a DVD, you need to have a few programs and know how to use them. Once obtained and properly guided, you should have no problem putting any AVI on DVD with MAC. YEAH!

The Applications:
Quicktime Pro-$30
Toast Titanium 6-$100-$150
ffmpegX-Free

The Explanation:
1. If your AVI can properly play both its video and audio in Quicktime Pro, then you should be able to toast it onto a DVD.
2. If not, then you need to convert it to a .MOV with ffmpegX
3. Afterward, it should be able to play in quicktime pro and be toasted.

The Process
1. Make sure you install all of the codecs for ffmpegX
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15473
2. Drop the AVI file into the ffmpegX icon
3. Choose where you want to save the finished .mov file in the save as button.
4. Hit the quick presets button and choose: .MOV mpeg-4 ffmpeg
(This automatically places the settings to properly convert AVI to .MOV)
5. Press encode.
6. Take the .MOV file & test it in Quicktime Pro.
7. If it plays fine, open Toast and select video.
8. Make sure the settings are DVD-Video, NTSC, and create DVD Menu.
9. Rename the DVD-Video and edit the Name of the file. (both optional.
10. Press the burn button and you should be done.

Things to remeber:
1. ffmpegX takes a while to encode depending on the size of the file.
2. Toast aslo encodes the .MOV file into Video TS folders. (that can take a while too)
3. I tried DivX Doctor, but it did not convert all of my AVI files.

Good luck. I hope this helps others who have been on the same quest as I for quite some time. Feel free to respond with any success or failures.

:cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
I will try now, lets see

OP
D

DJ Baheilman

I'm using Toast 5.2.3 and it doesn't give the option to make a dvd menu nor to use NTSC, This is going to be my first .mov to DVD burn so it should work... *fingers crossed*

Ok ya i got screwed i think, I followed what u did as close as i could, converted the .avi files to .mov using ffmpeg, opened up toast selected DVD, added the 4 files and cliked burn... it made no Video_TS folder and burned in about 2and a half minutes. i got nuthin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
chang6776 said:
I'm pretty new to this, but i think I have solved a lot of my own problem. Hopefully this can help others as well. As a mac user I have found that exploration, research and experimentation have been the keys to my success. I want to thank all those who responded to my initial post.

Although some progress has been made, I am still in the experimental phase of my theory. What I found, was that in order to put an AVI onto a DVD, you need to have a few programs and know how to use them. Once obtained and properly guided, you should have no problem putting any AVI on DVD with MAC. YEAH!

The Applications:
Quicktime Pro-$30
Toast Titanium 6-$100-$150
ffmpegX-Free

The Explanation:
1. If your AVI can properly play both its video and audio in Quicktime Pro, then you should be able to toast it onto a DVD.
2. If not, then you need to convert it to a .MOV with ffmpegX
3. Afterward, it should be able to play in quicktime pro and be toasted.

The Process
5. Press encode.

Things to remeber:
1. ffmpegX takes a while to encode depending on the size of the file.
2. Toast aslo encodes the .MOV file into Video TS folders. (that can take a while too)
3. I tried DivX Doctor, but it did not convert all of my AVI files.

Good luck. I hope this helps others who have been on the same quest as I for quite some time. Feel free to respond with any success or failures.

:cool:
Ive been putting avis onto dvds/svcds for so long, it aint even funny. divx doctor is way better than ffmpegx, I did however find a problem related to the codecs that came with divx doctor, which I later resolved myself, so its cool now.
I tried ffmpegx, its not very good IMO. I also use qt pro, mAC3dec, movie2mpeg,
forty two dvd-vxplus, and dvd2one x, depending on the job. if you need help on video encoding/authoring/converting, Im here.

OP
D

DJ Baheilman

I could use some help, i used the Toast 6 on my other computer and burned 4 eps. to a disk about 1gig size. Anywho it worked and plays on my dvd player but, after the first 2 min the sound got off track and started playing slower than the movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what format were they? if they were avi, thats your main problem, avi s***s as a format, its a ******* format, just a wrapper for other formats so they can be used on pcs with divx player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do you have quicktime pro? if so, do get properties on the sound track and check its length, if its shorter than the video track, it may have just shifted during encoding.
try using fortytwo dvd vxplus or similiar to encode it to a dvd yourself as opposed to letting toast do it.

OP
C

ceethru

Having a slight problem

The Process
5. Press encode.

I followed these steps and my .mov file played flawlessly in Quicktime Pro but when I tried to burn my file, Toast said that I need 5.4Gb of space but there is only 4.4Gb available. I'm fairly new at this but I tried to compress my file using DVD2oneX but I couldn't select any of my .mov files.

Help me Macman!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dvd2onex only compresses dvds, a vide_ts folder and an audio_ts folder. Im not sure if you can compress a .mov, Ill have to look into it.

OP
C

ceethru

I tried to burn a different .mov file and it worked. The first one I tried was 1.24 Gb and the second one was slightly over 1Gb. Thanks for looking.

OP
C

ceethru

Solved My Problem

In case anyone is still reading this, I took the .mov file that was too big and converted it to.mp4 with quicktime pro and burned it with roxio. The results are of lower quality but it got the job done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ceethru: You could have also had toast convert the file into a video_ts folder, saved it as a disk image and then compressed that using dvd2oneX.

Then take the compressed video_ts folder and burn that in toast.

Not sure if the quality would have been any better though...

OP
M

micpee

ceethru said:
In case anyone is still reading this, I took the .mov file that was too big and converted it to.mp4 with quicktime pro and burned it with roxio. The results are of lower quality but it got the job done.

How do you convert a .mov file to .mp4 with Quicktime Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
open the movie, click File>Export>choose mpeg 4 as your export format, hit export, and thats it, takes a while though.

OP
M

micpee

Macman said:
open the movie, click File>Export>choose mpeg 4 as your export format, hit export, and thats it, takes a while though.

I guess Quicktime Pro and Quicktime Player are two different programs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, ones free, the other costs $$ and has a lot more power and features.

OP
D

deathrow

Hey Macman, is it better to convert an .avi file to a .mov with Quicktime pro or with FFmpeg?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.