• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVI to DVD: I THINK I'VE GOT IT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
divx doctor 2, the reason is cause it realigns the audio and video that is misaligned as a main fault of the avi format. qt pro will convert it, but not fix the audio and video, neither will ffmpeg.

OP
D

deathrow

I tried divx doctor 2, but it doesn't work with toast 6 titanium for some reason if you want to burn it on a dvd. However when I converted the avi file with qt pro and ffmpeg it worked fine with toast. Do you know why, the file doesn't work on toast when you convert it using Divx Doctor 2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to burn to a dvd as a video in toast, it has to be a mpg, you can use qt pro to convert .mov to mpg 2 after using divx doctor, it takes a while depending on your mac's speed and ram.

OP
S

skullion

One quick Question about ffmpegX

chang6776 said:
I'm pretty new to this, but i think I have solved a lot of my own problem. Hopefully this can help others as well. As a mac user I have found that exploration, research and experimentation have been the keys to my success. I want to thank all those who responded to my initial post.

Although some progress has been made, I am still in the experimental phase of my theory. What I found, was that in order to put an AVI onto a DVD, you need to have a few programs and know how to use them. Once obtained and properly guided, you should have no problem putting any AVI on DVD with MAC. YEAH!

The Applications:
Quicktime Pro-$30
Toast Titanium 6-$100-$150
ffmpegX-Free

The Explanation:
1. If your AVI can properly play both its video and audio in Quicktime Pro, then you should be able to toast it onto a DVD.
2. If not, then you need to convert it to a .MOV with ffmpegX
3. Afterward, it should be able to play in quicktime pro and be toasted.

The Process
1. Make sure you install all of the codecs for ffmpegX
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15473
2. Drop the AVI file into the ffmpegX icon
3. Choose where you want to save the finished .mov file in the save as button.
4. Hit the quick presets button and choose: .MOV mpeg-4 ffmpeg
(This automatically places the settings to properly convert AVI to .MOV)
5. Press encode.
6. Take the .MOV file & test it in Quicktime Pro.
7. If it plays fine, open Toast and select video.
8. Make sure the settings are DVD-Video, NTSC, and create DVD Menu.
9. Rename the DVD-Video and edit the Name of the file. (both optional.
10. Press the burn button and you should be done.

Things to remeber:
1. ffmpegX takes a while to encode depending on the size of the file.
2. Toast aslo encodes the .MOV file into Video TS folders. (that can take a while too)
3. I tried DivX Doctor, but it did not convert all of my AVI files.

Good luck. I hope this helps others who have been on the same quest as I for quite some time. Feel free to respond with any success or failures.

:cool:
I dont even understand how to post in this ---- forum let alone record a dvd.If anyone can see this I need to know what settings in video I need to change to make the dvd fullscreen .There are black lines on the dvd on the top and bottom onthe dvd and on the new mov file but not on the avi original so the mov preset needs to be customized but to what?I am wasting alot of blanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the original avi most likely wasn't exactly full screen or 4:9 ratio, so in converting to .mov, it will automatically correct for that by adding the black lines you see as in wide screen
16:9, the only way you'll fix that is by using a video editing app like final cut or premiere and trim the size of the movies viewable area, you can also do this in quicktime pro, or make a mask in qt pro.

OP
S

skullion

Thanks

Macman said:
the original avi most likely wasn't exactly full screen or 4:9 ratio, so in converting to .mov, it will automatically correct for that by adding the black lines you see as in wide screen
16:9, the only way you'll fix that is by using a video editing app like final cut or premiere and trim the size of the movies viewable area, you can also do this in quicktime pro, or make a mask in qt pro.

Thanks for the help ,I think I understand this mpeg crap, now I need to know how to play and burn the larger files that I download from torrentspy.I got the movie "Meet the Fockers" NTSC.D VDr-BHP with all little files in it that do nothing but change formats back and forth with stuffit when I click on them.I also have .LIN files that do the same thing. What the **** are these files and can they be played or burned on a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'e never heard of a video format called .lin, are there folders like its a dvd rip, a video_ts and audio_ts folders?

OP
S

skullion

no

Macman said:
I'e never heard of a video format called .lin, are there folders like its a dvd rip, a video_ts and audio_ts folders?[/QUOTE

I dont know if these are video formats or not they just say that on the folders.They look way different than any file I have gotten to work.I get a window that says no application can open this blah blah blah ... or like with the 'meet the fockers ' they open up stuffit and make a little stuffit box with the same name which when clicked on makes a copy of the original folder.I have never got a good quality working video download to work, they all do these two things except for mpegs which play fine. I must be missing or not understanding something.If you ever downloaded a movie on the net you must have seen these files because every other one I download is like this.I get these folders from torrentspy usually.If you think I am never gonna be able to play these can you tell me the names of files that will reproduce and play good quality(like xvid-is that good? -can I play and burn that?- or whatever) because obviously mpegs are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to quality,but they are the only files I can get to work.I have a mac mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.