My First Mac- Cant connect to the internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz MBP 2gb ram, 200gb 7200rmp hd, 512mb 8600gt
so I got my MBP yesterday, and since then I've been trying to connect to the internet. I have a Sony Vaio that Im using right now to connect to the net just fine.
Ive search the forums to find answers, but none of them seems to work. The Airport finds the network but wont connect to it, I get the "Connection Timeout" error.
I used the Network Diagnostic utility and it tells me that I have a WEP password which I dont. Can someone help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 2.16ghz, 2gb, 256MB
ok so the only experience I have w/ router problems were solved by updating the router's firmware. you said you don't have a WEP password but Airport thinks you do... you might want to try changing your encryption to WPA or WPA2 or something to see if your mac can recognise that. Im not an expert, these are just guesses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whitebook 2.2, 4gb RAM, 200gb 7200RPM HD
First I'd check to make sure the Mac isn't trying to access a system with the same name as yours but secured. Make sure your wireless router has a unique name. Secondly you probably should be using encryption if you're not now. :)

Log into the router to make sure it does not have MAC (Media Access Control )address filtering turned on which would prevent your Mac (not the same thing mind you) from connecting.

Kat

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it doesnt explain why all the other notebooks can conect and my MBP cant. I even tried to shut down the PC and connect then. Im using a WRT54G router.

Reaction score
Try using it (for a short while ) without any security and if works then obviously its your security settings.
Strangely I had airport probs with my MBP when i first received it couple of weeks back but I think the updates have ironed out the niggles and i seem to get similar performance to windows. So an update might help....if you can get online.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont have security enabled, everything connects except my MBP, even my iPhone connects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I'm using the same router. Go to http://192.168.1.1 and set your security using WPA2 and select a password. You will need to remember it as all of your other devices will ask for it as well as your MBP.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know how to setup security, but that doesnt explain why my MBP wont connect to the internet.

Reaction score
I think ive figured it out.........youve got a problem.

Seriously... must be your hardware on the MBP. Id speak to tech if no joy send it back. Cant think of any other reason why it shouldnt connect.

Reaction score
Another point have you or can you get windows on. If so test it on windows and if does work then obvioulsy its not hardware. Thats probably better than getting a new router or sending it back.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think so too, I will try again later and another connection, and see if I get the same problem.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another point have you or can you get windows on. If so test it on windows and if does work then obvioulsy its not hardware. Thats probably better than getting a new router or sending it back.

Im posting via the windows machine right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.