Fusion or Parallels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I can only speak for VM Fusion when I say that after a week of use it seems ok. I've new installed windows even on a PC before the process was really easy. From what I see it covers most of my sons needs . I'd do as the poster above said and try a demo of both
Let us hear how you get on

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You know, both companies have evaluation versions out there. Why don't you just download both and see which one you like better?

OP
M
Reaction score
Looks like im gonna be busy for a while....so if im not posting you know what im upto....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black; 2.2 ghz core duo; 2 gb 667 mhz DDR2 SDRam; 8x SuperDrive; 160 gb hdd
To elaborate on my previous post, VMWare has given me a smoother experience as far as virtual environments. Parallels has a smoother "look", and the Coherence mode is a really nice touch, I have just found that VMWare is a little more suiting for what I use it for. (Using Windows LIVE Messenger for video teleconferencing with relatives in France, and occasionally to test neat windows programs)

I get the opportunity to work with both on a daily basis, at work I use Parallels (it's what we have licensed) and on my personal PC I use VMWare Fusion. I seem to lean more towards VMWare on the basis of functionality and performance.

Reaction score
Point is, you really can't go "wrong" with either. Both work great for typical uses, and some prefer one over the other. Although technically Fusion is more efficient, the Parallels interface is a reason some prefer it. As for the Boot Camp question, as indicated both will run using Windows installed on a boot camp partition, but certain features will not be available when running them that way. In either case, when you run virtual machines from a boot camp partition, they are still virtual machines; i.e., Windows is not running natively but virtually. If you want native operation, you need to reboot. But if that's important to you, both programs accomodate it.

The suggestion to try both makes the most sense to me. I did it and figured out what I liked better within a couple of days. It was VERY EASY to install and then uninstall, etc. Not to worry. Even old guys like me can do it quickly! :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.