Setting Default Browser

P

pharmer

Hi Guys,

How do you set another browser as the default instead of using Safari? I am using Opera currently.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Since the browser is selected from the dock, just drag the Opera icon to the dock and drag the Safari one out (disappears in a neat puff of smoke)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
To set Opera as the default you need to go in safari

Safari -> Preferences
and select opera as the default browswer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Which makes no sense at all but there you go..

You'd think that you could set this in Opera, or in system preferences, but instead you set it in the program that you DON'T want to open by default...

OP
I

iSheep

You used to be able to set the default browser in the System Preferences (even more logical), but I think Apple want you to have a go with Safari.

Reaction score
Mmm. Annoying. After trying preferences and failing, I went online (because my iMac's 256 of memory can run most things, but not Help all that well...) and sorted the problem when I found this post... thank you. Now if I was Bill or Steve, and being forced to strip out IE in some markets, I'd be annoyed with this. At least on a Windows machine, you can always change this setting in the control panel.

OP
N

normal1

Thats actually a pretty interesting point. Being forced to use safari isn't fun and thus the reason why Microsoft got in trouble.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
normal1 said:
Thats actually a pretty interesting point. Being forced to use safari isn't fun and thus the reason why Microsoft got in trouble.
Where are you force to use safari. When your system is set up safari is the deafult, but you can change your default to any browser that you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
rman said:
Where are you force to use safari. When your system is set up safari is the deafult, but you can change your default to any browser that you want.

Actually that's the same thing in Windows too. IE is the default browser, but you can always change it.

The problem Msft ran into was the bundling of IE and other programs in the OS without any other options. Being the PC and software powerhouse it is, smaller companies felt threatened. Apple so far hasn't had that problem, since it is the 'smaller company.'

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.