Odd dual screen behavior...

Reaction score
I just attached a second monitor to my Mac Pro this morning. I am experiencing one oddity. One of my main reasons for dual screening was to give me a second monitor to surf and work in when I play Eve Online. Eve runs in full screen, and when it is up on the main screen my second monitor is simply black. This pretty much negates my primary reason for dual heading this system.

Otherwise, the dual head is working great. In fact, I'm composing this on the second display now. If anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve this I would be immensely grateful. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Just curious, is Eve a Windows or Mac game?
I would check the game settings to see if there is any way to disable that from happening.
Otherwise, maybe adding a second video so each screen is working off a seperate card.
I was told to try the second video card option with my Pro when using Front Row. Adding a second card didn't help so I don't know if my advice will help you any.
I think you're stuck with what it is doing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Eve Online now has a native Mac client that I am running. This is a GeForce 8800GT card, and I absolutely am not willing to pay the kind of money necessary to put in a second video card just for playing Eve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There would be no need for you to run a second 8800 GT. I can toss one of my 7300 GT's in my Quad 2.8GHz and test it. I would assume it would work just fine. I only paid $35 each for the two extra 7300 GT's on eBay. Those are fine for most every app but gaming and you can't beat the price.
But like I said, it might not work. If there is a free demo, I should be hooked up tonight, so I could DL it and test it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yup. There is a free demo. I tried it first before reactivating my original account. I heard bad things about the Mac client stability, but it's been pretty solid for me. I've had a few client crashes, but nothing like the complaints I had heard. Thanks for checking it out for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
If you're running that game in "fullscreen" mode then there's no question about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what I figured. Thanks EGGO. I am not a computer gamer so I didn't know for sure.
My next thought is there a setting to run it through a window.

OP
S
Reaction score
If you're running that game in "fullscreen" mode then there's no question about it.

I'm not sure I understand this answer. If the game is run in "fullscreen" mode it automatically renders any other displays useless? Is that what you are getting at? Wow, would that suck. Especially since this particular game only seems to run in "fullscreen". Unless there is a way within OS X to "window" it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
That's where the Windows user in me can answer any and all questions. It would just be as sumple as pressing alt+enter, but most games certainly can stretch Dual Screen if you tell the preferences to. I remember Half-Life 2 having no problem being told I had a dual monitor setup and what to do with it. A tri-monitor setup was even more fun to use (A friend had that).

But I'm almost certain it's because of your fullscreen mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.