GarageBand, Logic Express, recording, mixing...?

Reaction score
I've currently got GarageBand and a few Jam Packs. I'm in a "real" band, and am looking to make more music with my Mac, either enhancing tracks recorded in a studio (for example with strings), or remixing and recording real instruments directly, rather than using loops. I don't want to spend too much at the moment, so do I:

1) Buy Logic Express 8 as a step up from GarageBand?
2) Stick with GarageBand and get a keyboard to go with it (any keyboard recommendations?)?

A couple of other questions...

Can I use my GarageBand instruments in Logic Express, or does it come with many instruments included?

Will I notice much difference in terms of functionality between GarageBand and Logic Express?

Thanks.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I've currently got GarageBand and a few Jam Packs. I'm in a "real" band, and am looking to make more music with my Mac, either enhancing tracks recorded in a studio (for example with strings), or remixing and recording real instruments directly, rather than using loops. I don't want to spend too much at the moment, so do I:

1) Buy Logic Express 8 as a step up from GarageBand?
2) Stick with GarageBand and get a keyboard to go with it (any keyboard recommendations?)?

A couple of other questions...

Can I use my GarageBand instruments in Logic Express, or does it come with many instruments included?

If you go for Logic Studio instead you will get all the Jam packs except the Voice one.

I've just ordered Studio myself for this reason.

All Apple loops and instruments work with all their Apps so, for example, I use Soundtrack loops with Garageband and vice versa.

The most interesting part of Studio (which isn't included in Express) for me is Mainstage which sounds like it might interest you as well.

Here is the review that sold me:

http://digitalprosound.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=233461

btw you might like to check out this as well:

http://www.steim.org/steim/junxion.html

I'm having great fun with it!

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.