iMac question

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forums kinda sorta. I have an iMac PowerPC G3 with a built in CD-ROM, but no DVD reader. For me to run and install Tiger on my OS, I will need a DVD reader. For a better result, would I be able to use the same dvd burner in my windows computer and plug it into an ide to usb converter and then plug it into one of my iMac's USB ports to install Tiger from DVD, or do I need to have a specific mac only dvd device?

Reaction score
I don't think so. With the new Macbook Air you can use your PC's DVD drive to install programs on the Mac via your network. The DVD drive in the PC is obviously not Mac specific. Mac's OS will be able to read the Mac programs on the Tiger DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
almost any usb dvd drive will work, but does your iMac meet the system requirements for Tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If your iMac is 350MHz slot loader or higher Tiger will install. Apple made some Tiger discs available in CD format, exchanging the purchased DVD plus $10.00. You may be lucky if you advertise nicely in the trading forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro CD 2.16, 2GB ram, 256MB Video.
The USB Drive should work fine to install tiger with but a better choice would be to go with a firewire drive enclosure if your system has a firewire port. Using the firewire port will be more compatible with disk burning. The other thing I would decently look into maxing out the ram for tiger. That could help out your performance alot.

OP
O
Reaction score
Alright, well I take it back: I do have a DVD reader inside. The processor speed is 400-MHZ so I guess I can run Tiger. I just need to upgrade my 192 megabytes of ram to 256 before I can actually install it all.

Any good sites where I can buy old iMac memory for cheap?

Reaction score
Newbie here:D Just wanted to add. make sure you have the lasted firmware update on you iMac PowerPC G3

What OS are you running on it now? If your running OS 8.6 or 9 you need to update the firmware to 4.1.9

info:

Original Mac OS: Mac OS 8.6 (Mac OS ROM 2.3.1)
Later Mac OS: Mac OS 9.0, 9.0.3, or 9.0.4
Maximum Mac OS: Mac OS X 10.3.9 (350 MHz) or 10.4.11 (400 MHz)
Hardware Test: Not Supported
Firmware: Open Firmware
Firmware Update: iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9
Firmware Update URL: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75130

Tip: in order to update the firmware you need to load OS 9.2.2 and then update the firmware from there. Once updated, then install OS 10.4 and do all updates from there and your good to go.

Hope this helps:D

sdg72

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.