Excel vs. Numbers - Help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
hi there, i'm a switcher trying to get numbers to do something i could do in excel.

i keep track of my work record in a log in excel. in numbers, when i type in 0:15 for example, it automatically corrects it to 12:15 AM, but i don't want it to (because i want it to remain 0:15 as in 15 minutes so that i can use the autosum feature and add it all up). it never corrected this in excel.

any idea to fix this so that it won't automatically correct this? i like auto-correction when it comes to dates and stuff but not in this situation.

or if not, are there any templates or other ways i can keep track of a work log in numbers?

if you can help please let me know. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's sounds like a simple auto cell format issue, and all you need to do is go change the cell format manually. If you use the same spreadsheet as a template all the time, you should only have to fix it once and never worry about it again.

I'm curious though as to how you were able to sum such an entry in Excel. I just entered a few cells with 0:15 and tried to sum them, but excel wouldn't accept it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I tried pretty much everything and the only way I can get it to Sum the numbers correctly is put them as 0.15 instead of 0:15. Every time I use a colon no matter how I have the format set it shows nothing when I SUM.

OP
ekologik
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
It's sounds like a simple auto cell format issue, and all you need to do is go change the cell format manually. If you use the same spreadsheet as a template all the time, you should only have to fix it once and never worry about it again.

how do i do this?

fleurya said:
I'm curious though as to how you were able to sum such an entry in Excel. I just entered a few cells with 0:15 and tried to sum them, but excel wouldn't accept it.

well, maybe it's the way i had the other values? not sure. the rest were time values.. like, i'd do 10:00-11:00, then in the next cell 1:00 and then task name in the next cell... and repeat under that line for the next task... and i highlighted all going down starting at 1:00, so like, all of the total time and what not, and then also selected an empty cell below them all. pressed autosum and it automatically added them up as a total time value. this is in excel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.