Opinions saught on funky Mac Pro keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 4GB ram
I have a Mac Pro being delivered today and I am slightly concerned about the wired standard keyboard it comes with. I have visions of the Atari 400 and PC Jr that I had as a kid (I ended up replacing the keyboard one each). In fact, I almost purchased a new keyboard yesterday but I'm broke because of the Mac Pro :).

How do you keyboard jockeys like it? At first feel, I think it will be tough to get used to.. I also noticed that one in the Apple store was pretty dirty and looked hard to clean.

I am no typing master, but I have graduated from the two finger approach and only have to backspace once every three or four characters... :)

Any and all opinions welcome....

Carl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
hmm. I type the correct way ever since I was taught to in 6 grade using a keyboard with no letters on it so I don't know how my opinion of the keyboard will compare to yours, but personally.... I love it. I tell all my friends who have the old ones that they need to buy the new style asap all the time. It just feels so amazing I couldn't tell you why but when I type on it I feel like all is right in the world. Currently I am not typing on it, I'm on my MBP, but I feel tempted to go downstairs and browse on my Mac Pro because of the keyboard.. now only if I could bring that computer to my bed..........

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was taught to in 6 grade using a keyboard with no letters on it.

Based on this quote, I would have to consider you a typing master... I learned slowly and painfully over 20 years while typing code.....

thanks for the reassurance.

Carl

Reaction score
Personally I don't like the mac keyboards or any other standard 101 type of keyboards either. The mac keyboards are to small for my big fat hands and fingers and i don't like any straight keyboard as after 8 hours of so of typing my wrists start hurting. Many days i spend up to 15 hours at the keyboard.

So, i started using a "natural" style keyboard, you know those crazy looking ones that are split... solved the hurting wrist problem for me right off. If you don't like the mac keyboard just get a keyboard that you do like. I use a Microsoft wireless natural keyboard on both my computer and my wifes computer and we have for years. They plug right in and work just fine.

I also use a Logitech wireless mouse and a Creative sound system so you see it doesn't have to say Apple on it to work with a Mac.

Reaction score
I would agree with James. I bought a Logitech Wave keyboard, and I think I'm going to hang on to it. It's a bit different from the "natural" keyboards, but a vast improvement over the Apple keyboard. Honestly though, the keyboard and mouse is totally a matter of personal preference. Give the Apple keyboard a shot, I did. I used it for about a week before I got the Logitech. You are probably going to drop about $75-125USD on a wireless keyboard like this.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your new Mac Pro. I also hope that your delivery isn't as frustrating a wait as mine was. FedEx didn't deliver mine until 7:30PM. I was losing my mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
It's staying in the plastic wrap. I tried one for a few seconds at thecApple store and had no beef with it. But I am permantely switching to my wireless Logitech full time because it's easy enough to use. I can't stand those natural keyboards. I have small hands and fingers so I need something thin. The diNovo Edge is perfect for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Over 98 WPM without a single mistake. I've said the same thing in another post. I like it. It doesn't look like it'll need that much cleaning in between the keys.

Not used to the low profile and ease of pressing the buttons; however, the keyboard that I am used to, my Logitech MX700, did start out with me not being used to keystroke a certain letter or enter correctly.

Until the money can be spent on a new keyboard and mouse (right now it'd be hard spend on RAM, MAYBE a GPU, but RAM/processing power), it's suiting me perfectly fine. If I could find a mouse where I can tell the browser to go back and also let me use the expose feature, I'm all for it. Until then, even the mighty mouse will do me fine. Surprisingly, it hasn't gotten as dirty as most people said it would.

I'm a graphic artist and copywriter for advertising. Typing and hotkeys are my livelyhood.

Reaction score
As long as we're talking keyboards here..I'm kind of old school on this topic myself..anybody have any thoughts on the Matias Tactile Pro keyboards?

http://www.matias.ca/osxkeyboard/index.php

No, I don't work for these guys or anything, and this is not a blog-spam attempt. I've just been curious about these guys for awhile..there's also some company out there that makes old school style keyboards for Windows machines, that have the same "click-y" feel that the original IBM PC had. Those were some of the best keyboards ever, and I think even the "high end" stuff from Logitech today is not nearly as good.

As I think about taking the plunge into Mac land (I'm getting closer, I promise), getting one of the Matias keyboards is one of the things I've been considering, so I was curious if anyone else has anything (good or bad) to say about them..thanks..

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro being delivered today and I am slightly concerned about the wired standard keyboard it comes with.
If this is the same keyboard as the aluminum one I bought a few weeks ago, my opinion of it is not complimentary.

I learned to touch-type on an Underwood 5, a manual machine, a model on which I could type 85 wam. Of all the keyboards I've used since, whether attached to typewriters or computers — except for laptop keyboards — this aluminum is by far the worst.

I make fewer mistakes typing on an Underwood made in 1911.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried to post a reply and it disappeared..... forgive me it this ends up being a duplicate message.....

After a couple days of use, I am not all that annoyed with the keyboard. My wife hates it and thinks the Mac was a plot to get her off my computer... ;D

Anyway, I am having much more of an issue with the mouse. I removed the mighty mouse yesterday, it just does not have the button response I need for games. I put my trusty old Microsoft usb wireless mouse on the Mac.

I am now noticing that it does not track very well. It feels (looks) like the mouse is getting distortion from the surface. Sometimes the little movements to get to a button or link do not track, it takes more movement then I expect. It is getting frustrating. That little red close button is hard to hit when the mouse it not tracking like my hand is trained to expect. Its not just me either, this morning my wife was on the laptop because she was frustrated with the Mac mouse.

I am going to get a mouse pad to lift the mouse off the desk but I don't hold much hope this will solve my problem..... I did not have this issue with my PC in the same spot.

Curious..... I think a new mouse and pad are in my near future.

Is there anything about Mac and mice that I am missing?

Carl

Reaction score
Funny that you mention this as I am experiencing the same behavior. Sometimes it seems that the mouse is just tracking off ever so slightly. I wrote this off to the fact that I got a new computer desk and have never used any optical mouse on it before. Sometimes it seems that if I move the mouse to the top of the desk it tracks better. This could just be wishful thinking on my part though.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well.... I have done research and it is not in my (our) head. What I am experiencing is a change in the "acceleration curve" of the mouse. From what I have read, Apple made a change in the mouse feel by changing a long standard acceleration curve to one of their own. It shows itself as a feeling like the mouse is sluggish at slow speeds. There is software to fix this out there. Do a internet search on "os x mouse acceleration curve".

I purchased a new mouse (Razer pro 1.6) and it looks like it has the capability to change the curve in its driver. I will give this a try tonight when I get home. If not, I will download one of the programs that fixes the issue.....

Note that broken feel on the mouse is in the eye of the beholder.... I don't like it because I am used to PC. Others may love the Mac feel... there is no denying that it is a different feel however.

Carl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I eat whatever is put in plate! :)

I personally have no problems with the old white apple keyboard nor the new aluminum iMac keyboard. Nor the macbook keyboard. But what I can't stand is those $5 keyboards which just plain suck. Been typing properly since 2001!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" Alu | 2.0Ghz C2D | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD | Snow Leopard
Well I have to say I love the new alu keyboard! It feels really great to type on - really smooth and sensitive. It just feels right -buy one now!
:D :D :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I picked up that spiffy new ultra slim aluminum keyboard for my 7 year old iMac......two words......LOVE IT, much nicer than the standard iMac board (of the times) Light, thin, hides extremely well, just my $0.02

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.