RAM Upgrade Help Please!!! iMac G5 Core Duo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz 1GB RAM 256MB ATI Radeon X1600 VRAM... wateva dat means~
hey guys i posted here a bit back about a router prob but thats fixed after my bro got a new PC :Grimmace:

anyways, i have a new question. i want to upgrade my ram cos my software is stacking up and i cant live without any of them... so what is the most ram that you can get for a 20" iMac G5 Core Duo with Tiger installed? i have one 1GB RAM stick so im just looking for another one to fill in the gap.;D

also, it would be really good if you can show me where i can get the cheapest but also reasonable quality ones... if thats possible...

thanks in advance,
noob

EDIT: its 2ghz

Reaction score
Welcome richhobo94! We need to start with a tiny little problem... There is no such thing as a G5 Core Duo! Go up to the Apple icon, down to "About this Mac". Click on "More Info..." Tell us the Model Name and Identifier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I assume it's an Intel Core Duo. I don't think Apple made a 2.0GHz G5. I think they made a 1.9GHz and a 2.1GHz G5. Both are rated for 2- 1GB modules. The Intel uses PC5300 DDR2 SODIMMs. Try newegg.com for some good pricing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro CD 2.16, 2GB ram, 256MB Video.
As far the vendor of ram I would pick either Crucial or Kingston, just for my opinion. I wouldn't get the cheapest you find though because I have found the cheap sticks will give you random crashes and errors. As far as the max you can get in to it I think 2 1GB sticks is the max ram.

Good luck!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz 1GB RAM 256MB ATI Radeon X1600 VRAM... wateva dat means~
lol thats y i signed off as "noob"... its intel :D

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

so sluzniak is crucial good? cos i found that they were relatively cheap but had doubts on the quality...

also, is it possible to upgrade to leopard without having to transfer everything to my external hard drive? i also run boot camp with vista (yuk) for school work and software so would the stuff in boot camp transfer if i upgrade?

relli sorry 4 so many questions buh im relli noob when it comes to macs... my first one and im lovin it. great 1st impression!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Crucial is a good company. I recommend them. I like OWC, macsales.com. They offer a lifetime warranty so there is no worries with them.
Yea, you can upgrade from Tiger to Leopard without transfering or losing info. It isn't recommended because a bunch of people would get system crashes due to 3rd party software compatibility.
Just make sure you use the 32-bit version of Vista. I think BootCamp requires that version and the processor is only 32-bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of memory
They offer a lifetime warranty so there is no worries with them.

No matter where you buy, any decent company (my favorites are Crucial and Corsair, though I have gotten good stuff from Kingston as well) offers a lifetime warranty on their memory

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys! all i need to do is buy now! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.