problem w 12" display

Reaction score
Can anyone help me on this? The LCD display of my 12" ibook suddenly conked out. At start-up, when the white "apple" appears, thin white horizontal lines suddenly build-up then the image blurs out into a bluish-white ghost-like image. From sleep mode, the normal desktop image appears then the same white lines build-up then the usual same thing happens. But on an external monitor, the display is normal.

The last activity of the computer before this happened was that my daughter was playing DVDs on it. Is this a probable cause? Also, this edition of the ibook is included in apple's battery re-call due to some overheating problems. Is this also a probable cause?

A similar thing happened to my friend's 15" Powerbook and they had to replace the LOGIC board which cost an arm and a leg! Would this be true for my ibook? Why is this problem peculiar to macs?

OP
N
Reaction score
by then way, my 12" ibook is only 2 years old and was only frequently used around for 5 months

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
my 12" ibook started doing this and after as lot of research i discovered it was the video card on the logic board and it was a known issue on a lot of these. apple did extend an additional 3 year replacement but that time has long passed. i have newer macs and wasnt about to spend more than it was worth to fix it but i liked having it around for company or streaming music etc...

the problem if it is just like mine which it sounds like it is exactly the same is that the solders on the video card on the logic board have become loose and to send it off to have fixed or to replace it is cost more than buying a used one. my ibook is a G3 with 128mb soldered in ram with a 900mhz processor and it was given to me by someone because they said it was dead and didnt care to fix it so i had nothing to loose by trying the following.

here are some great pics on how to take apart the ibook.

here is the problem chip but it will be covered by a thin foam type yellowish layer that you need to scrape off. i used a razor blade but it wasnt that hard.

1213tiv2.jpg

i didnt take any pictures but it isnt that difficult.

what i did was:

1. remove the wireless card and 512mb stick from under my keyboard
2. follow the instructions above for taking it apart until you get the logic board exposed
3. scrape off the foam on top of the video card
4. i left the logic board attached and then covered everything in 3 layers of aluminum foil except for the video card
5. i then put the heat gun on low and started from about 12 inches away from the chip and slowly lowered down to about 1 inch away from it while moving in a circular motion around the chip. i would go back to about 3 inches away and then back to 1 inch again over and over and i did this for about 5 minutes and then slowly went back up to about 12 inches away again
6. i didnt touch anything and let the mac cool for about 30 minutes and then fired it up and it worked with no problems
7. put it all back together and i am actually typing this on it now and i performed this trick about a month ago

FYI the first time i did this i was a little scared and i didnt use the heat gun as close or for as long as i mentioned in my instructions and it did work but quickly went back to the crazy lines on boot up.

i know it sounds a little crazy but it heats up the solder enough to let the chip settle a little and then cools down with a good connection and solves the bad solder problem.

hope that helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.