• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone here collect and use old film cameras?

k3s

Reaction score
Anyone on the forums use or collect and or have old film cameras slrs, rangefinders etc??

I have been collecting and using them for a couple of months, man what a joy have i found in film photography. The unexpectedness of it all, is absolutely wonderful. So anyone here feel the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GB RAM, 2.2Ghz, 160GB HD. 160GB Ipod Classic. 16GB iphone 3GS. Red 2G Shuffle.
Not personally no, but my youngest brother recently bought a DSLR and joined a photography course to learn how to get the best out of it - he was promptly told to put the Digital away and given a film one in order to learn and appreciate first... he's had a lot of fun and bought one or two 35mm film cameras now, mostly for keepsakes...

He's now allowed to play with the digital SLR now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I don't use them but I guess over time they have ended up just collecting I have about 10 old slr(s) with at the time, at least $10,000 in accessories, from filters to lenses, but now they are worth about $200, if even...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I had an old Pentax and a Kodak 3D camera from the 70's. I have kept a couple toy film cameras and my Diana.
I've decided not to buy a DSLR until film is dead and I can no longer buy 120 film for my Diana. Until then, I will continue to shoot film. I still have some connections to my darkroom in college. I should put my fine art degree to use before it's totally worthless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I have an old Olympus OM-1 35mm camera from when my mom was in college (~30 years ago). It still works but I rarely use it because I don't have access to a darkroom

OP
k3s

k3s

Reaction score
I have an old Olympus OM-1 35mm camera from when my mom was in college (~30 years ago). It still works but I rarely use it because I don't have access to a darkroom

OM-1 funny you should mention that. I was looking for one on ebay and was going to bid on it. But then couldn't, a very nice trusty camera. Well yep my collection keeps ever growing. Holga, diana, Yunon dx-3(Which i think is a knock off of another camera), and now a Yashica electro 35 GSN.

I think film will never die, there will always be those people that still want to use film. I have seen a resurgence of teenagers coming to appreciate film and start using it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
film will never die as long as there is photography for art

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
Just starting to get into old film cameras. I have a 35mm canon and I just picked up a pentax as well. I did buy a fisheye 35mm that was soooo much fun to use, but sadly I lost it in San Fran last month. Wasn't an old camera, but it sure was fun to use.

Digital setup:
30d w/ grip
100mm 2.8
50mm 1.4
10-22mm
430ex
mt24-ex

It's hard to stay away from digital, but film will never die!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
I desperately want a Hasselblad medium format!!! Now that would be fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I wish I could believe you all but film will die. Silver will continue to rise in cost and demand for film will continue to go down. Polaroid is out by the end of the year. Kodak doesn't make photo paper any more. Sheet film is dropping by the way side. I see Ilford sticking it out the longest.
Chemistry is hazardous. It's bad for the environment. Black and white chemistry, except for toners, isn't so bad but color chemistry is nasty stuff. I've worked in a darkroom and a 1hr lab. I don't know anyone that's gotten sick sitting next an Epson. :p
I am not saying film will die tomorrow but like all the methods before silver based film will be no more. It will be considered an alternative process like the rest of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GB RAM, 2.2Ghz, 160GB HD. 160GB Ipod Classic. 16GB iphone 3GS. Red 2G Shuffle.
Talking of film, pretty surprised to see the announcement a few weeks ago that Polaroid's will no longer be manufactured... many a priceless moment has been captured with them too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
Talking of film, pretty surprised to see the announcement a few weeks ago that Polaroid's will no longer be manufactured... many a priceless moment has been captured with them too.

a lot of business like small town restaurants and whatnot use them so customers can take pictures. I know Pete's Coffee and Jamba Juice both use them for that same purpose too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
Is that your suby in your avatar?

yup.

Film will not die, although it may not be as readily available (not that it really is anymore) but it will not go extinct. Have oil paints gone extinct? Sure, Target and 7-11 probably wont be selling film in a few years, but photography stores still will, just as there are still paint/art stores

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
yup.

Film will not die, although it may not be as readily available (not that it really is anymore) but it will not go extinct. Have oil paints gone extinct? Sure, Target and 7-11 probably wont be selling film in a few years, but photography stores still will, just as there are still paint/art stores

Exactly! I just sold my 04 sti :Shouting: . I'll have to send you some pics. Lots of time and $$$ put into that car, but nowhere to drive around here.

OP
k3s

k3s

Reaction score
I desperately want a Hasselblad medium format!!! Now that would be fun.

They are amazing cameras. I only got to use it once when my friend let me use it. But they are really expensive. Yes poloroid's are not going to be made, although if a company dose buy the rights to continue making it the legacy will continue (I recently went to the store and saw pack of poloroid film for 17 dollars!.)

For me i just cant see it going extinct, but then again anythings possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.