Time Capsule Question

Reaction score
I was wondering if you had to connect the time capsule to your router for it to work wirelessly. Basically i am wondering if I can have a time capsule plugged into the wall in my room, and use it as an external harddrive without connecting it to anything else. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Time Capsule IS a wireless router. I'm thinking you need to use it as such to use the NAS function.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The Time Capsule is a router.

It would basically take the place of your existing router and have a hard drive in it.

Would think you could also set it up as a 2nd local area network without connecting it to your ISP. In this case, you would still use the network set up on router 'a' to connect to the internet (along with anything else you have on that network) and would have to change the airport connection on your Mac to the Time Machine network to access TM's hard drive. During which time you would have no access to anything on network 'a'.

OP
S
Reaction score
Oh okay, thanks. so is this the only wireless hard drive there is out there? cause i dont really want to use it as a router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
There are wireless harddrives out there. Depending on what you want to spend depends on the features. I don't know what your set up is, but if you have the AirPort Extreme Base Station, you can just attach a cheap external harddrive to it and your problem is solved. The angle for the Time Capsule (I have one) is that it's simple plug and play with regards to Time Machine along with a AirPort Extreme Base Station. So, if I do the math, I get 500 GB of storage for around $130, not bad. Through the complications of wanting wireless storage and a network printer, then using AirPort Extreme Base Station creates that problem because it has only one USB port, so I have to pick which one I really want on the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What you could do to save money is buy a NAS. It's essentially an external hard drive with an Ethernet port. You plug that into your existing router and you've got a network drive similar to the AirDisk.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well the thing is, I already have a router (with no usb port) and I don't really need a new router i just thought it was convenient that it was wireless, i thought it might use infrared or something to that effect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.