• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

oh... my... god...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
I don't know if they are heroes for not crashing or nuts for even trying to come in crabbing like like. Glad everyone is OK. Is there a certain 'type' of person who comes to the airports on windy/stormy days with video cameras?

Reaction score
That footage is incredible!! It bothers me such stupidity in apparent lack of concern for the people on board to try and land in such circumstances.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
that was rather... scary.. and i wasn't even on the plane!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I would have been freaking out if I was on that plane!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/39256/crosswinds/

They actually certify the A/C to land in conditions like this. These are all flown by company test pilots. The filed is someplace in South America that is know for it's strong crosswinds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
My dad sent me a link to that video earlier today. For some reason both the video page and story page keep killing safari. Worked fine in firefox but cnn must not like safari.

Anyway, about the video, I've made a few crosswind landings. Not anything that strong, though. And I was in a high wing Cessna, so no wing tip strikes. Its a pretty weird feeling flying crooked like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Wonderful. Flying Lufthansa through Frankfurt and into Milan in a week and a half :/

At least they landed alright.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Crosswind landings like that are definitely nothing new. look it up on youtube and you'll find plenty. It looks like the problem was they got a last-second huge gust right before touching down.

That said, I'm sure everyone on board about died. They aren't kidding when they tell you to fasten your seatbelt, folks!! I bet some idiot who thinks he doesn't have to put his seatbelt on got thrown out of his seat onto someone who follows the rules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Good lord. And the plane is back in service. According one of the other CNN videos, there was an active runway headed into the wind, versus the one the plane tried to use at first.

That was a good recovery. I'm impressed too that the plane, an A320, was able to recover and get aloft so quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Kudos to the pilot for keeping his cool.

Would that we could all fly in calm weather....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 Ghz 2GB Ram 120 GB HD
wow... and they attempted though! you could see that it was blowing around alot in the first place why even try!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
wow... and they attempted though! you could see that it was blowing around alot in the first place why even try!?

What goes up MUST come down....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
The wind is almost never going to be perfectly along the runway, so you learn how to land in crosswinds. Most major airports, Hamburg included, have runways in multiple directions, generally aligned with dominant winds.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...858&spn=0.049164,0.128231&t=h&z=13&iwloc=addr

The problem is that an airport is "configured" for its operations based primarily on prevailing winds. Approaches and departures are run based on that. To change an airport's configuration - to make a runway inactive and/or make another runway active requires time. In the US it can take 20 to 30 minutes to reconfigure an airport because of approach procedures and aircraft en route to arrival fixes based on the current configuration. In Europe, while Eurocontrol manages air traffic control, they have other issues of national frontiers. Reconfigure an airport, and a flight's approach may suddenly be over a different country.

If I was the Lufthansa pilot, I'd have wanted to kick the controller's butt for that. Still, the pilot has final say as to what he does. "Clear to land" means you have permission, but it doesn't mean you can or should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I don't know if they are heroes for not crashing or nuts for even trying to come in crabbing like like. Glad everyone is OK. Is there a certain 'type' of person who comes to the airports on windy/stormy days with video cameras?

yeah, they are called news crews when there is a major storm and a big airport :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Woah, hectic... glad that wasn't me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.