Sharing iPhoto library across Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Hi there.

I just started to use iPhoto to manage all my photos (I was a Windows user before and I just use to stick photo's in a folder, but now I love the idea of tags, events and all the cool features of iPhoto).

I have 2 Macs and wanted to know if I could Sync my iPhoto library across 2 macs so the up to date library can be accessed by both Macs and I can make edits and do uploads on either machine?

If it helps I have a .Mac account (although I couldn't find an option to sync my iPhoto library).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6 C2D 4GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 3GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 2GB 15"
I do this by saving the iphoto library file (found at homefolder>pictures>iphoto library) on an external hard drive tied to my airport extreme base station. Although that will change today as my 1TB Time Capsule is scheduled to show up this afternoon.... (I will update after I get everything set up)

Anyway. You can do it that way or you can use file sharing if you have Leopard. Either way works. For my Aperture library I do use file sharing because I can have the master file on my MBP with me all the time and then access it at home from another computer when needed.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

-M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac with 2GB of RAM
Nice sounds like I have alot to learn about all the mac offerings....this is my first mac and I have only had it for a week or so....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The instructions for moving the library are here

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93603

If you ever want more flexibility there is an app called iPhotoLibraryManager that lets you switch between multiple libraries

By the way mscadden, I was about to swat that annoying ant on my screen until I realised it's your sig :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac with 2GB of RAM
By the way mscadden, I was about to swat that annoying ant on my screen until I realised it's your sig :|

Bwahahah that would have sucked...but would have been great to see...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.