How much RAM do i really need?

M

Maxp0wer2004

I am getting a 15-inch, 1.33 Ghz PowerBook, and i want to know if the 256MB included is enough.

I want to be able to run many programs quickly.

So is there a big difference in speed of running programs with 256 and 512 MB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
Maxp0wer2004 said:
I am getting a 15-inch, 1.33 Ghz PowerBook, and i want to know if the 256MB included is enough.

I want to be able to run many programs quickly.

So is there a big difference in speed of running programs with 256 and 512 MB?
Well you have to tell us what you will be doing on it.

If your going to be video edditing you need a lot you shold at least get 1024

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
ram is loke money – more you have, better
512 is fine for basic stuff (web surfing, DVD, office)

OP
M

m1k

I upped my 12" PB's RAM from 256 to 512 and it made a WORLD of difference. Get as much as you can, and definitely don't go with the 256MB Apple gives you, it isn't enough for even basic web browsing/word processing. I really did notice a huge difference when I upped my RAM from 256 to 512.

Go with the most you can afford, I personally find 512MB great for web surfing, word processing, and even games (with 256MB my games ran relatively smoothly at medium settings, but were choppy at high settings, but with 512MB they run smoothly even at high settings with 20 guys on the screen at once.

Good luck, and also be sure to go with a good RAM company, like Crucial or Kingston.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
OP
M

Maxp0wer2004

Well, im not going to do anything too extreme on it.

Just web browsing, maybe editing pictures, games, DVD, running screensavers like Flurry which are bad with low RAM(i know firsthand, i used it in my windows PC with 64 MB RAM, and its slow!). Stuff like that.

So with RAM, its basically like this: "The more the merrier"?

OP
M

m1k

Well, 256MB will get you by, but you'll notice a BIG difference with 512MB RAM. It really is the more the merrier. Get as much as you can! It'll make your Mac more pleasing to work with, when you open 5 applications at the same time and in a few seconds they're all open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't stay with 256, You wont have a pleasant expierence. If your going to be doing anything like what you said and listen to music in itunes you wil need 512.

Well anyway, Good luck with your new mac! Its a beautiful thing! :cool:

OP
T

TylerMoney

256 isn't enough ram for any computer these days...well..unless all you're doing is writing papers and surfing the internet..but even then, more makes it feel better. I'd say the rule for computers this day, is a minimum of 512 (apple should really make it their min)....and a max of whatever is the most amount you can put in there.

OP
M

Maxp0wer2004

Well, im not going to be doing anything thats extreme as i said.

I dont write too many papers anymore, so all i would basically use the computer for is web browsing, and (if i can manage to learn it) programming. I know im not going to go for the 256 that Apple gives. Im going to get 512, so thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
1.5 gb min. 2 if you feel like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont think he really needs that... :bone:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.