• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Road trip!!!!

Reaction score
I am sick and tired of cops, do they have NOTHING else better to do than pull me over at 8 o clock on a sunday morning? Failure to signal? Are you kidding me? Whatever....

Anyway, visited my hopeful future college today, (well yesterday, I just got back and its late) I opened a flickr account just so I could show my parents and stuff, but hey, I'll show the number one website too. Let me know what you think.Thanks for commenting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
Jings man! That looks like a holiday resort! I work at edinburgh university and if it looked half as pleasurable as that id enjoy going to work in the morning!

Enjoy your time there!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you pays your money you takes your chances. we all purposefully decide to disobey the law in myriad ways when we drive. don't complain when you finally get nabbed for one of your "minor" transgressions.

personally i signal simply by habit even when i'm completely alone on a road. it drives me crazy when others neglect to do it around me.

anyway, good luck. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Okay failure to signal, thats nothin. This all in three days...

Sunday Night - License plate light burned out, warning ticket (replaced the light minutes later)
Monday Night- License plate light not bright enough, warning ticket #2
Tuesday Night- 51mph in a 50mph zone, car search requested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
here in jersey we dont use signals. we just go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Wow, that's a college? That looks NOTHING like where I went. Looks like a resort in Florida to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
CBU = California Baptist University in San Bernardino?

OP
C
Reaction score
CBU = California Baptist University in San Bernardino?

Exactly. Your from SoCal. I figured you would know

Edit: Its in Riverside though :| ???

Edit P.S.: I google earthed it, and its pretty much the same place

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score

that's where i grew up, well, north jersey anyway, not the shore.

up there where the traffic is so dense, it's insane not to signal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Lol, kinda true.. in my town any way...

I just noticed you live on LBI, I have a house in Loveladies that I live in during the summer, What town are you in?

On the subject of the college:

I think its a rather funny joke you going on vacation taking pictures of your hotel and showing everybody the place and telling them it was your college.. seriously, you should have taken a picture of the pool! I'm just joking, that is one insanely nice looking school, if the academic program is half as nice as it looks then your in for a really good experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Okay failure to signal, thats nothin. This all in three days...

Sunday Night - License plate light burned out, warning ticket (replaced the light minutes later)
Monday Night- License plate light not bright enough, warning ticket #2
Tuesday Night- 51mph in a 50mph zone, car search requested.

That's some crappy luck there. I've had my fair share of pointless pullovers.

1st time - Turned at a 'No Turn on Red'. The officer let me off with a warning, because he noticed the sign was covered by a road construction sign.

2nd time - Stopped because of my bumper stickers (specifically my Bad Religion one). Searched my truck, found nothing.

3rd time - Same as 2nd time.

4th time - 38 in a 25. This is the only one I actually got a legit ticket for, but, in an odd stroke of events, the officer came TO MY HOUSE and ripped up the ticket on my doorstep. He must've seen my scout uniform on the passenger seat. That's the only reason I can imagine he would've said I was "too good of a kid".

5th time - Bumper stickers again. I didn't know they can pull you over for those.

6th time, and by far the worst - No reason given. Not a darn one. I was walking back from 7-11, slurpee in hand, and a cop car pulls up behind me as I get in the car. Officer comes up screaming at me to "move the bag", thinking I had drugs on me, but, well, how he could've seen a ripped up plastic baggie UNDER MY SEAT is beyond me. I had change in it for getting my slurpee, so he does a thorough search of the truck, I mean EVERYTHING. Ripped the thing apart looking for drugs, and found nothing. Then proceeded to drill me about "past drug use", of which there is none, and went through a whole frisking and everything.

Once he left, I went to the station and filed a harassment report, which, oddly enough worked. He got kicked off the force permanently. Apparently he had a history of doing that to kids.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Once he left, I went to the station and filed a harassment report, which, oddly enough worked. He got kicked off the force permanently. Apparently he had a history of doing that to kids.

Good for you! People need to speak up more when unnecessary things like this happen to keep the system in check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
CL33Zero -- 8:00 on a Sunday morning? Seriously, the cop probably REALLY had nothing better to do -- that's not exactly the most exciting time of day -- people are just waking up, etc. (Plus, I really wish people WOULD get ticketed more for not using turn signals...I've been especially wishing that a lot more as a pedestrian...)

I've been pulled over twice...the first time was in Jersey and the cop told me that I made an illegal left turn. (In New Jersey a lot of roads have "no left turn" rules, and you do what they call a "jughandle", in which you turn left by basically taking an offramp from the road. Despite what most non-Jersey people think, I actually think it's a great idea...think about that next time you're in a long line of cars because some boob wants to make a left turn on a busy road!) Since I had a clean record, he let me off with a $44 fine for not having my insurance card with me. (I WAS insured -- I just got my renewal but I forgot to put my card in the car, but the officer knew I was insured because I had an inspection sticker, which means I had to prove I had insurance when I got the inspection.)

Funny thing is...I went back to that same road later...it WAS a road that allows left turns...in fact, it had a left-turn lane! It was a bogus pull-over! Then again, the cops in that town are notoriously corrupt...

Second time I got pulled over was in Chicago last year...my wife and I got in the car to visit my parents, and I noticed a slight breeze...I turned around and saw that one of my windows was punched out! We just continued on. I was driving alongside a state trooper on I-55. He looked at me and then did a double-take and flipped his lights on. He said he pulled me over because my window was bashed in, which was a giveaway that I might be driving a stolen vehicle...he just needed me to prove it was my car...

OP
C
Reaction score
CL33Zero -- 8:00 on a Sunday morning? Seriously, the cop probably REALLY had nothing better to do -- that's not exactly the most exciting time of day -- people are just waking up, etc. (Plus, I really wish people WOULD get ticketed more for not using turn signals...I've been especially wishing that a lot more as a pedestrian...)

Here's the set up.

Going to friends house at 7:30 in the morning (he is driving up with me) And while right in front of my friends house I get pulled over. Some "bad" short guy gets out of the car with some tall fat guy who looked like he was new to the whole cop thing came out and start treating me like I just spit in their face. Asking me all sorts of questions like "Where am I going?" "What Im doing driving around by myself?" Asks for my license and info, I give it all to him. Then he starts reading off the info all slow and stuff, trying to be intimidating "D7########" (license number) Then he says my name out loud, (as if reading off the info like he was doing) I think nothing of it, he says it again, this time almost in a shout, I look over and he starts asking me why I didnt answer him, and if that was even my name. I told him I thought he was just reading off the information for whatever reason. Then he goes on asking me if I have been drinking today. At this point I was getting sick of it, "sir, do I need to remind you it is 7:45 in the morning?" "yes I know that, but you are giving me plenty enough reason to believe that you have been" "Well then to answer your question, no." Like I said, it was all in front of my friends house, my buddy starts walking out on the side walk, and they started yelling at him. For walking on the sidewalk. Its getting absolutely ridiculous, I swear I thought they were going to call in back up.

This all took place in a small town of about 7k people at about 7:45 on a sunday morning. The town only has not even ten cops, of which I personally know about 4.

So ya, turn signals, but its not new york where there are tons of people walking, your lucky if there is one. And there wasnt even any cars on the road. (Other than the hiding cop)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, the cop may have been a jerk, but a law is a law no matter if no one else is around to see it. again, most of us break numerous laws that are basically estimated risks when driving. if you get nabbed for it, remember that if you hadn't been breaking the law, there'd be no reason to pull you over. and if you weren't the only car on the road, you'd be less of a target... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
Lol, kinda true.. in my town any way...

I just noticed you live on LBI, I have a house in Loveladies that I live in during the summer, What town are you in?

Brant Beach 47th st.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
CL33Zero, there was no reason for the cop to treat you like that. Speaking from experience as a police officer that is very unprofessional and is the kind of conduct that leads to harassment suits against police departments and assaults on police officers. He may have even trying to provoke you into a confrontation. If I were you I would file a complaint. Admit you were in the wrong by not signaling but let them know how you were treated. Last time I was pulled over was a few months ago for 94 in a 65 by the highway patrol. He let me go on professional courtesy though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.