Bootcamp....vista or xp? + one more question

Reaction score
Im about to order my macbook pro and am wondering what i should get, vista or xp sp2. Also...is there an easy way to get these OS's cause i dont have them lying around my house. or is my only alternative to buy the software...but i like living on the edge ha. Also do you guys think i should wait for the updated MBP's or go ahead and buy one now..?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Wow, a lot of questions ;P

Unless you have a compelling reason to use Vista, I would suggest getting XP simply for the fewer resources needed to run it. To save a lot of money, buy an OEM copy from someplace like Newegg.

The laptops were just updated, so now is actually the best time to buy. The next major update is scheduled for sometime in June, so if you can hold out for that long, then by all means go for it. And if you don't like the update, you can always get the current model for slightly cheaper.

Reaction score
I absolutely agree with Kash. XP is definitely the way to go unless you have some critical need for Vista. I have really heard nothing good about Vista from anyone technical. Even the Windoze support guy at my work say that Vista is horrible, and he thinks Bill Gates hung the moon.

As to obtaining Windoze... I've been reminded more than once that talking about piracy on these forums is absolutely forbidden. That said, I would again second Kash' recommendation to try an OEM vendor like Newegg or if you have a Fry's nearby you can get it there. I'm pretty sure though that they are going to make you buy a hard drive or something as the OEM version is only available with a qualifying hardware purchase.

Reaction score
Vista works just fine on Macbook pro. You need minimum 2 ram and to be honest ive found it faster then XP and Leopard. I wanted the glossy look and it hasnt dissapointed. Remeber though the security features ( pop ups ) get on your nerves a bit but overall its got more than XP and Leopard if thats what your after.
Its a shame to use an older version of windows on an up to date PC but do your reasrch. Ive used both XP and Vista on my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What do you need Windows for that you cannot do with the Mac OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.

You wouldnt belive how much SW does not have a mac version. Thats why I still have to live with bootcamp XP at least once a week ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You wouldnt belive how much SW does not have a mac version. Thats why I still have to live with bootcamp XP at least once a week ...
What software do you need? There are countless alternatives for software titles out there, many are freeware or low-cost shareware. It doesn't need to be a Macintosh-compatible copy of the exact same software title for you to be able to achieve the same results.
It has been years since I have needed to use a Windows machine, as I have always been able to do whatever I need with a Mac.

Reaction score
RE: certain software that's Windows only, Google: CrossOver.

I got the trial to try and run Office 2007 (for my needs, Office 2008: mac is useless) but CrossOver didn't work with 2007 so I've not bothered exploring much further.

Check it out though, it can run quite a few programs I think.

Reaction score
I've had my imac a little over a month now, I currently have Vista as my 2nd OS. Vista works exceptionally well, I have 4 gig but only 3 are recognized under windows. I'm on OS X 95% of the time; I only use Vista for Warcraft 3, DVD decrypter, and MS Office, because I don't have a MAC version yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 Ghz 2GB Ram 120 GB HD
Anyone think its funny that XP is actually more then Vista right now???

Reaction score
I upgraded my MBP to Leopard over the weekend and I decided to try out Boot Camp as well. I took my XP SP1 CD that came with my old PC and loaded it up . It was a very simple process and everything worked perfectly. It even activated the copy of Windows although it came from a Windows laptop. Boot Camp loads all the necessary drivers that Windows will need. The only thing I didn't like was the way the trackpad works in Windows, it won't work as well as it does under OS X.

Windows will also boot up faster on a Mac than it will on a PC, at least it does in my case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

Sony ACID. And don't tell me Logic can do just that. Logic is expensive and I have this program now. For me, it's also easier to understand, but that could be years of simple experience talking.

Reaction score

For my particular case, I do alot of stuff with my car via Ross-Tech software VAG-COM, and the Auto Repair CD (similar to a Chilton or Haynes Manual) will only run on a Windows machine... That is really the only stuff I use windows for, my Windows partition is like 10 gigs or something crazy like that...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.