System Administrator Password Reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nicetype

I have a G4 and I'm trying to install some software, but it's asking for the system administrator password or phrase. Well, I don't remember it because It automatically logs me in everytime. I tried the advice in the Mac help, but it's a dead end. Is there anyway I can do this with a keyboard command or working my around by creating another user account? Please, if someone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you are the only user of the system, then your admin pass word is your pass word. Since you don't remember the pass word, creating a new user would not resolve the problem. I believe that you need the pass word to create the new user account.

Just change the admin pass word, by booting your system off the OS X install CD. Once you get the install program up and running. Look at the install menu, there should be a reset pass word option. there is where you reset the pass word to your system admin account.

OP
I

iSheep

If it logs you in for you, why not just change your password in the Accounts preferences?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I think you need the old pass word in order to change it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, you do. It's times like this when setting up the root account comes in real handy. You can avoid having to boot from the CD, but you have to remember the root password too.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.