New MacBook Pro Video card question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4G Core 2 duo
On the new MBP, there are two options, one is 8600M GT w/256mb and the other one is 8600M GT w/512mb..is it worth extra almost $500? I know with that extra money, you'll get 2.5g processor instead of 2.4g and extra 50G HDD.:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3, 500MHz, CD-ROM, 12"
It depends on what you plan to do with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
The most compelling reasons I can think of to go for the 512 are if you plan to do a good bit of gaming, either in OS X or through Bootcamp, if you are going to do a fair amount of HD video editing and/or 3D modeling/animation, and ultimately, to just future proof your machine that much more. Don't get me wrong though, the 256 is very capable from what I've seen. If you don't intend to do very much that relies heavily on the GPU then the 256 should even be more than enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
Also, it's worthy of note that with that extra $500 you are also getting twice the L2 cache on your processor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Extra memory on a midrange card offers little to no tangible benefit in games. It's only when you get into the upper range where the increase in memory yields real world benefits.

However, if you plan on doing 3D modeling, then that extra memory comes in handy.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4G Core 2 duo
Thanks for the info guys...I think I'm gonna go with the 512mb option..I'm planning to keep this laptop for a long time..let u guys know when I get it..;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.