iMac vs Powermac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok I am thinking about getting an iMac G5, the new one and so I am wondering what everyone thinks about it so far, especially if you have used it :) I am more of a software person, so when it comes to hardware.. Im just not sure what I will need.

I am a web programmer and I usually have quite a few applications open at a time. Currently I use a Powerbook G4 667 that works quite well, but I am running out of disk space and it is definitely getting slower compared to my grandmothers eMac 1Ghz.

I run all the time:

Mozilla, Entourage, iTunes, Fetch, Project Timer Pro, PulpFiction Lite, Dragthing, Stickies, BBEdit 8, SafePlace, Spamfire, Terminal

While once in awhile:

Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Quicken, CocoaMySQL, Adobe Suite, Macromedia Suite.. plus others.

I like to use my wireless and I am thinking of upgrading to a apple base station, so I will need a wireless card, plus bluetooth capabilities.

If you have any other questions to give me an informed review please ask :) I know the powermac will cost me a whole lot due to me having to buy a monitor with it, plus it takes up more of a footprint, but if the iMac can not handle it all with grace, dignity and speed, then it doesnt matter about the footpring and cost...

Oh and rman what is the link that you refer people to that shows the release cycle of apple products?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I think the iMac would fit you well. I plan to buy a 17" 1.8ghz around christmas when I get some more paychecks so I don't empty the bank for it. You can get a fully loaded iMac for less than the base level PowerMac and that still is without a monitor. For your needs I don't think that you will really need a dual processor. Just the upgrade from the powerbooks low FSB and slower memory will make an enormous improvement.....thats not even taking into consideration the upgrade from the G4 667 to a G5 1.6 or 1.8 (I recommend the 1.8 because you get a front side bus upgrade) and more memory if you plan to install more than your laptop has

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks I appreciate your comments, I was planning on getting the high end iMac with 20" screen :) I definitely lean the way that you mentioned. And the comments about front side bus upgrade is exactly what I am looking for, since Im not real sure on that stuff. My laptop has 1 Gig of memory, and I plan to have the same or more in the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yea your powerbook has a 167 fsb
The iMac has 600mhz

big time upgrade

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sweetness, ok next question.. where should I max out my RAM? I hear buying from Apple is not a good idea. Also my base station. This new keyboards.. do they have the power key? I know the eMac keyboard doesnt, I am hoping the iMac's does...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Buy your RAM from a reputable vendor with a good return policy (in case you get a defective module...it can happen anywhere.) There's nothing wrong with Apple RAM except the price. I would also suggest you buy modules in pairs of the same size from the same vendor...the Developer Notes say that matching pairs are slightly faster.

The iMac comes with the same lousy, fixed-angle keyboard as the eMac (and every other recent desktop Mac.) I don't know if the power button on the Matias Tactile Pro or Kensington Studio Board Mechanical keyboards will turn an iMac on.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm.. ok thanks that's good to know.. which also means that I will have an extra RAM module once again.. I still have my extra powerbook RAM module :)

Bummer about the keyboard.. yeah I don't care much for that thing.. oh well that's the way it goes, I will definitely replace the mouse though.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anywhere in particular should I look into purchasing my iMac? Im in California so I would like to order outside California due to taxes :) Is there anything in this setup that I should reconsider?

iMac G5 20"
1GB of RAM total, so 2-512MB sticks of RAM
Airport Extreme Card
Internal Bluetooth Module
250GB hard drive
Airport Express Base Station
Apple Care

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Buy whatever the wife likes... :p

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*grin* well since it's for my business, hopefully she won't like it too much or else I won't get any work done! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.