My first Mac scare...

Reaction score
I've had my new Mac Pro for about 2 weeks now. My wife mentioned that I can't steal the display from the old Windoze system until she can use MS Money on the new Mac. So, the first thing I tried was downloading and installing Crossover. Unfortunately, Crossover wouldn't even install Money so I'm now faced with BootCamp or Parallels/VM Fusion.

I shutdown the Mac and installed a spare Western Digital Raptor 70GB hard drive. I have to say that working in the Mac Pro case is really nice. Everything is modular and very easy to work with and get in and out. Once I installed the drive, I plugged everything back in and NO VIDEO!!! I could hear the startup sound, and the eject button and volume control buttons worked, but nothing on the monitor. I tried plugging in to the other monitor port on the Mac. I removed the hard drive I installed and tried bringing it up again. NOTHING!!!

Finally I broke down and called Apple support with dread in my heart. My fear was that they were going to tell me the video card died and it would be X weeks to get a replacement. After talking to the wonderful girl on the support line for about 20 minutes during which time she was really great, I hit the source button on the monitor just out of desperation and viola.

Somehow, my monitor switched itself from the DVI port to the analog port while I had the Mac opened up. Everything is fine and looking good now, but let me tell you... I was sweating bullets there for about an hour.

OK. Let the laughter at my stupidity commence. Though, I'm really not sure how/why the monitor switched itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Haha, well I'm glad your new mac is doing just fine and dandy and hope you don't have any more scares!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
I won't laugh - I've had a couple near misses myself. Always frightening when you do something that should be painfully simple and it becomes simply painful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.